Best place to buy blades? What type do I need?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, Jun 27, 2004.

1. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 48" Husqvarna WHF4818 hydro mower and its time for new blades.

It has a mulching kit on it, and I mulch all of my lawns. Here is a few concerns I have:

It has 18hp, but feels much weaker than my 20hp Bobcat since my Bobcat is set up for side discharge. Therefore, I need to get a blade that mulches as fast as possible so I can get the grass out and have less strain on the blades.

I was thinking the best blade for mulching would be the gator blades. Do gators mulch better than "mulching" blades?

I also will be mulching leaves this fall if possible (blow leaves in grass and mulch like crazy) so thats another reason to go with gators.

BUT, I want to make sure I still have a lot of lift. I noticed there is a high-lift version of the gator blade out. I want this blade IF it doesn't hurt the regular gator's mulching ability.

Also, I don't know if I should run doubles since the mower is brand new and has 2 years left on the mower and 3 years left on the spindles. I could put my stock blades on top (not as nice of a cut with older, worn blades) and run doubles for only the cost of new blades. I don't want to void my warrenty, however. I always lower my rpms before engaging the PTO anyway, so I think I might be okay.

Last question, but very important for me to get feedback on: Does running doubles help cut grass faster? I was cutting at about 5mph the other day and it wouldn't cut medium thickness too well. It would cut, but wasn't exactly residential quality. Does running doubles help keep from leaving sprigs and help you cut faster? I know it helps you mulch better, but I already mulch really well.

Can I use my stock blade bolts and just stand the blades or will I need longer blade bolts? Thanks y'all, and I would really appreciate some good feedback! (I am about to order hopefully soonish).