1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best place to buy fertalizer?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Stewart, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Stewart

Stewart LawnSite Member

We mow and take care of almost 2 acres. It is time to winterize and need suggestions for where to purchase the winterizer. Is it worth it to buy Scotts at the local home place or buy some place else? Is Scotts worth the price? Suggestions please...

Thanks for the help.
  2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Scotts is a good product, just a bit higher in price.

Go out and find wholesale suppliers in your area. Or nursery, garden centers.
  3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Ditto what Glan says. Also, try Lesco if there is one close by.
  4. PhrankW

PhrankW LawnSite Member

You might also try to contact a local fertilizer blend plant. A lot of them will sell direct. We do.
  5. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

If you have a Home Depot close to you, they sell a few Lesco fertilizers. 18-2-18 , 18-24-12 would be a couple good winterizers.

These are professional fertilizers that will save a bunch over Scotts.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I think last year I paid around $7 for a 50lb bag from a local wholesaler.
  7. Lawn Solutions

Lawn Solutions LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I use straight urea at around $7 bucks a bag. At least in my area, the midwest, you want to apply a quick-release nitrogen.
    This is taken in to the roots and stored right before dormancy for a quick green-up in spring. I wouldn't spend the extra money for a slow-release formulation, especiallly for a large area.