Best place to buy used Exmark?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by eskals, May 11, 2002.

1. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

I am just beginning to look for a used 36" belt drive to be used at my parents property. They will put less than 50 hours a year on the machine, so I figure a brand new one would be severe overkill.

Now, what would be the best place to start looking? I see them in ads in the paper, but would my local Exmark dealer be a good source as well? Obviously, I am supporting the local dealer, and I am sure they would be happier servicing something they sold, but are there any compelling reasons to buy a used one from the dealer (if they even deal in used equipment)?

Thanks,

Eric

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Eric,

Thanks for the questions. Buying used equipment is like buying anything used. If it is from a reliable source who has taken care of it then you’re in good shape. Buying something sight unseen such as via the internet or an internet advertisement can be a little more risky. You can however limit that risk by buying from as reliable or reputable seller as possible. The Lawnsite used equipment forum as an example could be a good choice because many of those who list equipment there also post in the regular forum. This allows you to do a little research on how they do business and any threads they've posted regarding maintenance. You can also find out from other members if they've ever purchased from this same person and what their experience was.

Another good source is the "Pre-owned equipment” section of the Exmark sight at www.exmark.com. The nice thing about buying a unit on the Exmark sight is that you know it is coming from an Exmark dealer or at least the dealer is familiar with the mower. Many of these units are low hour loaners or demo units that have been discounted and are still in great shape. I would also contact the administrator and ask him where you should post this same question to get the maximum input from some of the other members.

Thanks

Terry