Best Place to buy Walker replacement motor?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have gotten to the point where I am going to have to replace the 20 horsepower Kohler on my 1997 Walker T model. Where can I get the best price on a whole replacement motor? Has anyone done this changeout themselves, and if so is it a straight bolt in replacement? I realize I will have to change over pulleys, muffler, etc. Any tips from those of you who have gone through this would be appreciated. I don't feel it is reasonable to pay a dealer $2000+ to do this job when I know I can do it myself.

2. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

I have not changed one out I have 26 EFI but don't call Bird tractor in Burlington I had very bad experience there. Get your numbers off the motor and call agi supply in Garner or landscaper supply on line.

3. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

small engine warehouse has the 20hp and 25hp for about $1400.

4. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

If you are mechanically minded, just buy a short block which will be much cheaper. I had my 20hp wear out but I was fortunate enough that my dad is a small engine mechanic so we just rebuilt it. Come to find out, the motor wasn't shot, just the rings, cam and other things. only spent a little over $300 and have a like new motor!

5. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

to the top...............................................