Best place to find worn skid steer tires?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tallrick, Dec 5, 2008.

1. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

This may seem ridiculous, but I am looking for old skid steer tires that have worn down smooth but are not dry rotted. They are used on my 843 bobcat on the 15 x 15.5 rims that i use while working on grass to avoid damage. My old tires are just too dry rotted to use anymore, and they are coming apart as well as losing air. If I get a new set they are so aggressive that I leave tracks everywhere. Tire places throw them out and I have found them in the dump from time to time. Is there anyone out there with any more ideas where to look.

2. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

Try your local dealer. My Bobcat dealer has a pile of them out back.

3. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

Buy them from us lol:waving:

4. tallrick

Actually that's one of the first places I looked. But maybe up in Broward or Palm Beach would be a better idea because they use the super float tires more as they are sandy counties. The bobcat service I got these from a couple years ago has moved north so that source is gone.

5. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

What about used aircraft tires? they are petty tough and have no tread.:confused:

minimax

6. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

there is a guy from another forum that uses truck tires on his skid for floatation. they may work the same as a turf tire. he claims they work well and don't wear to bad.
    good luck

7. tallrick

I have seen them on a bobcat 743 used for sod, but never tried any. It is definately something else to consider.

8. 2109 Stang

2109 Stang LawnSite Member

Hey tallrick: give Central tire a ring ph# 305-592 7564 I've seen lots of used skid steer tires there while getting tires for my trucks .

9. tallrick

I am going to make a trip to the northwest and see what I can find, that's a great idea. In the past I have tried turf and truck tires but they have a hard sidewall and square edge so they tend to dig in while making a tight turn. The wider ones work best and the worn super floats have a rounded edge and make the best turf tires. Even if they scuff the surface the roots stay intact and it grows back in a couple weeks.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

What about phoning your local Bandag retreader and see if they can get you a set of recapped skid tires with a scrap yard smooth cap. They make sure the casings are good and recap them. They can make the edges round so they don't dig in and will be smooth as a babies azz.