Best places for high quality grass seed?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CRUZMISL, Apr 20, 2005.

1. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Online would probably be my best bet. Any ideas? I'm looking for high quality bluegrass.
    Thanks!

2. Online would be a good place, till you get the shipping charges.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

It would help if you put your correct location instead of "middle of nowhere". We can't direct you to vendors if we don't know where you're located.

4. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Good point. I'm in Grosse Pointe, a suburb of Detroit Michigan.

5. Grassmechanic

Ok then, call Turfgrass, INC in South Lyon, MI 1-800-521-8873 ask for a 50# bag of "Top Blue". They'll take your CC and ship it immediately. And Grosse Pte. is hardly in the middle of nowhere :D

6. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

South Lyon isn't that far. I can pick it up. Do you know the percentage and types of grasses in the mix?

7. Grassmechanic

100% KBG. 4 varieties, they change year to year. They are all the best perfoming varieties. I use it on all my high end homes. Germinates in 7 days with proper watering. You will not be disappointed. If they have a truck coming over to your area, they'll drop it off for free.

8. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Could I get an idea on price? I just bought a park and athletic (blue and PRG) for just under $2/lb. I would like to go to all Blue eventually

9. Grassmechanic

Marko - the price will vary with market conditions, but I've paid any where from $95 - $125 for a 50# bag. Give them a call, they'll probably provide service for you out of their Indianapolis office. Very professional company - they've dealt mostly with the golf industry but have expanded to include the grounds maintenance aspect as well. I've dealt with them for nearly 20 years.

10. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Thanks!! I was going to go with Seedland.com but since you have experience with that blend I'll trust your judgement. I like a nice deep green lawn so hopefully this will fill the need:)