best plow blade for Ditch Witch 255sx?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by justgeorge, May 26, 2005.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Hi guys,
    I rented a 255sx for an install today and was surprised to find it didn't have a sod cutting wheel in front of the blade (had used Toro Dingo w/plow attachment in the past). I felt like there was more tearing of the sod. I started using a 12" blade with 2" bullet but switched to a 8 or 10" blade with only a 1" bullet. The smaller blade put the pipe at a real nice depth but only a 1" bullet made it real tough to put in the Ts since the 1"PVC didn't want to shift much.

Anyway, what's a good blade to use to minimize tearing the sod? I'm looking thru my John Deere Landscaping catalog and see a "Turf Shark" blade with a 45 degree angle on the upper blade that looks like it might help.

What combination of blade and maybe a separate 2" bullet to get the larger diameter hole would work?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure if the 410sx blades fit the 255...But I've got one with a sod precutter on mine. Its factory ditchwitch... Try calling your dealer?
  3. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

I was back in the Ditch Witch dealer today - they just stock basic blades. The 410 blade doesn't fit the 255sx. I did talk to my John Deere distributor; he's going to put me in touch with their plow blade distributor to come up with something.