Best portable GPS navigation system?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Exact Rototilling, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Best portable GPS navigation system?

I'm not sure if this would be cost effective for me but I do get fair amount of one time customers call, rototilling, aeration etc., so having directions spelled out for me would help some. If someone calls when I'm at home I always pull up their address on Google maps 97% accurate.

If I receive a call when I'm driving it's bit tougher to get directions correct. I know a GPS Nav unit would help but how forgiving would they be on address entry and spelling? I'm a horrible speller - so some sort of spell check would weigh in heavily for me.

I would need one that is portable so I can move it from both of my work vehicles. Is there an sort of subscription service for this?

I'm a very technical person but I'm clueless on this issue. :hammerhead:

Thanks,

Glen :waving:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have the TomTom One XL, don't know what it costs because I got it for Xmas :)

It's niiice.

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've always done fine with just a map. Keep it in the truck if needed.

4. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

I got a Tom Tom for Christmas too. (Tom's Tom Tom:)). If you can spell your town's name correctly and the first letter of the street it will get you there. It takes me much longer to tap this crap into the screen than it does to find it on the atlas though. And I enjoy pissing it off by taking the way I know has less traffic or no speed bumps or whatever. After telling me to turn around 3 times it "recalculates".

I'm usually just happy if I can get someone to give me their street address instead of "directions".

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There are some drawbacks, all maps have errors...
    It's led me down a couple of dead ends, also told me to turn left where there was a median strip...
    You definitely still have to pay attention :laugh:

But I can make corrections, just not to the unit itself, has to be sent to TomTom then once verified it goes in the system.
    All user-submitted corrections are available as free downloads, always.

As far as investments they do save time, even on routes I have always traveled I now use the GPS, and lo and behold I found a couple of roads in 20 years I didn't know existed... Map or not I get so used to doing things a certain way, always drive down this road to get to A, that road to get to B and so on, and it gets to a point I fail to see the shortcut!

So it can easily cut 15-20 minutes drive time a day, that alone is worth it.

Now I haven't had a chance to test this yet, but the GPS has the ability, the only question remains is will it do it, here's the idea:
    1. Create a POI Category called Customers.
    2. Enter all customers in this category, pita but once done it's over, new customers are entered right then and there, phone number too!

Now, say for instance I have 8 lawns to cut.
    Create an itinerary with (and I'm not sure on this part) 8 destinations OR way points, make my home the start and finish and enter those 8 destinations (or way points) pretty much at random.
    Then, let the GPS figure out the best way all around.
    It should do it, I just don't know if it will, or if it simply calculates the shortest route between the destinations/waypoints AS entered.
    But it should do it the fastest way, re-routing as needed.
    I doubt it's a matter of functionality per se, more likely a matter how flexible the software is, or allows it to be.

Want to eat lunch?
    Ask the GPS to point out restaurants along the route.
    Hungry now?
    Detour the GPS to a restaurant.
    Then, resume itinerary.

I also created a POI category 'Businesses,' for the dealer, the auto parts store, and so on, places I frequent.

It really helps a lot, I don't drive without it at all.

6. Pflat1

Pflat1 LawnSite Member

Garmen

Iv had a Garmen for over 2 yrs and its never steered me wrong, even when I took it to Canada.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ya can buy a magellan 3200 for about$170, I have em in all the trucks.

8. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I was told that a BOYO is user friendly and they make neat looking back up camera's in your license plate covers, just Google it, I'm in the market as well.

9. memac259

memac259 LawnSite Member

I use a Tom Tom 720. I think it's great for going to houses or businesses for the first time. I don't have to ask customers for directions. Sometimes the routes aren't the best possible but it always takes you right to the driveway. I also use the bluetooth feature for the cell phone when its in the truck. I also got it for Christmas and I actually use it a lot more than I thought I would.

10. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I just got a garmin c330 a little while ago, my dad has the same one, they are great