Best Power Edger and Extended Reach Hedge Trimmer

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Ben's Landscape, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Ben's Landscape

Ben's Landscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have decided that I may want to purchase a power edger and extended reach hedge trimmer. I am just trying to decide what brands to choose and what works the best in the industry before i go and buy one. Thanks for the input. I am looking towards Redmax, Stihl and possibly a Echo (but not a fan of them :laugh:)

2. onlythebest

onlythebest LawnSite Senior Member

i have a echo pe-265 it has been great the two times i used it but don't really see a need when i can flip the trimmers much quicker... granted the two places i used it were over grown and needed an edger but 99% of the time a trimmer is more than adequate for me. kind of a waste of 550 bucks but i guess if i need it its there

3. Ben's Landscape

Ok thanks! i was looking at the regular straight shaft edgers is that what you have? I didnt realize that they were over 500 dollars for them. Yeah i think a hand edger works a lot better for that price hahah!

So you use your trimmer for like if you had to edge for mulch? My thought was like if you put down mulch a year ago and they wanted it edged again(i do that anyways but some costumers are wierd haha) then i wasnt sure if a stick edger would be faster and have less waste to get rid of.

4. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I use a Stihl HL 100 works great for me a little on the heavy side but cuts any thing that will fit.

5. onlythebest

onlythebest LawnSite Senior Member

For mulch I use a hand edger or trimmer... Power edger is useless because it just cuts a slit in the ground. It's better for sidewalks and along driveways. And no it's not a walk behind edger it's a stick edger.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have Kawasaki long hedge trimmers that have the articulating head. They are around $500

7. cranbourne

cranbourne LawnSite Member

Gday Gasracer .Could you tell a little more about the articulated heads. I have read about them in a catalog over here but equipment there and here can be a lot different. Cheers Glenn

8. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

Sent you a PM

9. Ben's Landscape

could you send me that pm also?