1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best practice with leaves

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by hage1, Nov 3, 2005.

1. hage1

hage1 LawnSite Member

I run my Walker once per week in the fall to get up the leaves (PA). The grass always looks fabulous under the leaves. I know it looks better without the leaves, but would I be better off to let them stay and pick them up in the spring? What's the best leaf practice for the northeast?
    Carl Hage
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

NOOO, they will mat down on your grass and possibly kill it. And they are a real pain to pick up in spring.
  3. hage1

hage1 LawnSite Member

Ill keep the Walker going once per week. Besides, it's fun....for a homeowner once per week. thanks
  4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Once they get wet and matted down, the potential for them killing your grass is almost guaranteed.
  5. hage1

hage1 LawnSite Member

I agree about the leaves. I'll be out there today. BTW I believe that 186,282.4 law only applies in a vacuum.
  6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Ahhhh, but it's a starting point.
  7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Hage1, I was just thinking... I fully agree that you don't want a mat of leaves to remain on the lawn, however I'd be interested in hearing what other people would think about the idea of mowing over the leaves with the Walker but with the back of the bin open.

I have a Walker and never have done this, and I wouldn't do it at a clients place, but shredding a little material for my own lawn is something that I might consider doing.