Best Pre emergent for work sites

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by simbo, Oct 18, 2006.

1. simbo

simbo LawnSite Member

Currently working on 300 work sites with 6 inch crushed limestone base layed over weed barrier. Organic material gathers in limestone over time giving weeds chance to root. Working on several combinations of spray recommended by county agent but judging by threads some of you guys may have more real life experience than agent.
    all mixes per acre with heavy water (approx 100 gallons)
    mix 1
    3 gallon hyvar
    2 gallon diuron
    5 gallon sodium chloride
    mix 2
    2 gallon diuron
    1.3 quarts arsenal
    5 gallon sodium chloride

Have also used sahara but have not had time to determine success.

Mix 1 and 2 are roughly same price any ideas on reducing cost while keeping weeds down?

Clients want clean area (no weeds, grass etc) and have no plans to ever grow anything on these sites.

While your at it give me some ideas on post emergents. Always looking for better solutions.

Thanks,
    Simbo

F350SD 4x4
    F150 4x4
    LS 170 skid steer
    Kubota ZD28F
    John Deere tractor/loader/bush hog
    recently stolen Scagg 27kaw
    recently stolen Bourg trailer and equipment
    8x14 dump trailer
    Billy Goat walk behind brush hog
    too many sprayers to count

2. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

Simbo,

Depending on weed type (grass or broadleaf), your rates could be too low. Are you looking for season long control with one app? We service oilfield leases and various right-of-ways, and we do one app a year with season long control. We use krovar idf, which is hyvar x (bromacil) and diuron mixed in a dry flowable. The label use rate varies depening on the weed/grass you are trying to control. If you are trying to control more grass than broadleaf, use more bromacil. If you are after more broadleaf use more diuron. We also use landmark xp (Dupont) which is a sulfonylurea herbicide. It controls a wider variety of weeds, but is expensive.

We use about 50 gal. per acre on apps, since it must be incorporated into the soil by rain, or irrigation, it doesn't matter on the rate of carrier (just go by label). We typically use 12-18 #'s krovar with 5# diuron, and get season control. Just remeber agitation is extremely important with any dry flowable. We use 300 gal bean sprayers with mechanical agitation for all row apps.

Good luck...

3. simbo

simbo LawnSite Member

Appreciate the help. Reviewed several of your posts and printed out the previous sterilization instructions. Have been working with couple of local distributors - any recommendations for chem supply? Recently picked up couple hundred new sites so volume will probably dictate finding better price.

4. I've used surflan at 4oz/1000 ... get 8-12 month control

cost compared to your mixes, no idea

5. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

Simbo,

As far as a good chem supply co. we use Estes Chemical on just about everything from lawn chems to general pest to r.o.w. One thing to keep in mind is, like you stated, quanity. If you know how many locations you will be doing already, it might be wise to buy krovar by the pallet. We get a better deal that way. Also if you can, buy a generic diuron, just make sure it is the 80df per 5#bag. Our case cost for the diuron is approx $20 per 5# bag, and krovar is approx. $70 per 6#bag case price.

Some other good chem suppliers that carry these products are Agrilliance and Univar.

Just remeber with these dry flowables, you need good mechanical agitation. Seen a lot of guys spraying with jet agitation, and have a lot of product cake up in the bottom of sprayer. With the mechanical agitation, we just pour straight out of the bag (no slurry) into sprayer, never have any problems yet.

Good Luck...

6. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto the jet vs. mech. agitation. Also, I had some issues with Sahara control in limestone. With some research, I found the Ph of limestone has an adverse reaction with the Sahara. Something to keep in mind. I am looking to Pramitol for next year. Marc

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The best product I have found is CASORON. Its a granual that is spread just like fert. It will give at least 8 month control of anything green. It kills existing weeds and grass also, that arent rooted below 2 inch depth. The only caution to have with this stuff is it can migrate on slopes with excess water runoff.