Best Pre-M?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rvsuper, Jan 7, 2003.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

What do you guys use for a Pre-M and where do you get it? I'm only asking this because I am going to try pre-m liquid on MY lawn this spring instead of the Scott's stuff. When do you folks in the Midwest put it on?

Thanks

P.S. >>> The nearest Lesco from me is 5 hours.

2. Barricade, dimesion, or pendamethaline.

I perferr the Dimension because of availability to me with the price factor.

Also it goes down with either a 5-5-20 or a 0-0-25

3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

LGF,
    where do you get it at?

4. look in the phone book for a supplier,

Check your farm co-ops.

I get my stuff from an independant dealer and BWI.

They are both fighting for my business.

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Dimension for me also, I like it a lot better than Pre-M, I get mine at LEsco.

6. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

I use Dimension also, no yellow stains. Get mine from Helaina

7. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

pre m for me.. at 11.50/bag

19-3-7

ant

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Alex, best pre-emergent is a healthy turf. If you can provide, or educate the client to do, the ideal cultural practices for the type of turf you are managing, you can have an environment with very few weeds, and no pre-emergent chemicals. Pre-em chemicals stress the grass, making it weaker and more susceptable to weeds.

It does take time to convert to no pre-em. You need to gradually wean a lawn from pre-em, because suddenly stopping it will allow many weeds to grow, amd require much time in post emerg control. A cold turkey stop of pre-em on a 23.5K lawn showed me that; last year was 5th or 6th year of no pre-em, and I almost went back to it. But in the 5-6 years the turf rooting had taken off so well and plant health had improved so well that this 23K of sunny lawn had only 6 crabgrass plants successfully germinate.

9. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Alex

Your closest supplier is probably Zimco Supply in Souix City. I don't have the phone number handy, but its in the phone book.

We went to Dimension, not staining and the early pre emerge activity really helps if applications get a little late or spring warms up too fast

Doug Austreim
    Austreim Landscaping
    Brookings SD

10. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Doug,
    How soon do you put it on in Brookings?