best promtional products or coupons?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by c-bass, Jan 24, 2008.

1. c-bass

c-bass LawnSite Member

my business is starting its fourth year and i have never advertised by flyer and dont have a sign on my truck. i have plenty of business through refferals and did not want every tom dick and harry seeing my number and having my run all over town to give estimates and them say, oh, that is way too expensive, when i acctually have very good prices. i think i will put a sign on my truck this year and just have my name so the neighbors can see who i am. with that said is it worth having pens or shirts or any other items with my name on them? i know what my clients want what they can afford and mostly if they would do something or not if i offered a discount or coupon. have any of you had any success with increased revenue from doing something like this?

2. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

Last season i wanted to pick up a few customers in the neighborhoods i already cut. I put out a flyer with a coupon for a free cut the deal was you pay for the first 5 cuts then you got # 6 free. I was surprised on the new customers i signed up.

3. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

You can't expect to get business if no one knows who you are. Just get a map and draw a certain radius around your starting point for the area that you are willing to travel and anyone that is not in that area you can tell them that you do not service that area. At least get some kind of logo on your vehicle and some shirts made. Good luck!

4. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

We've always made sure to have a sign on the truck and a listing (even just a small one-liner) in the yellow pages.

We've been in business 71/2 years and I just had shirts made for David (as his Christmas present...but hey, he won't tell you what he wants!) Now, the screen fee is set up and he can go in and have more printed anytime. The minimum amount was 12 shirts, so he gave a few to the crew members too and still has a weeks worth for himself.

At first he thought they were unnessary and didn't know if he'd like them, but he has gotten A LOT of compliments and they do look a lot better than the holey worn out rags he was wearing!

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Dont wanna open up a can of worms here..............But

I too have sgins on my truck and I noticed it...

In the larger cities, People "low life's " Look for trucks with sgins because they know they have a ton of insurance and they try to become involved in an accident with ya....

Just wanted to share..... Please Dont slam me for my statement....

I have seen it happen

6. c-bass

c-bass LawnSite Member

i have nice collered shirts with my comp. name stitched on the chest. bohiaa that is another good reason to not have a sign. in live in memphis, enough said. i plan on having tshirts made for my crew this year, just didn't want to and they quit a month later after couple hundred in shirts. i have decided to do magnets, one with my card on it and another to send out each month with statements listing things to do in the yard that month. i bill on the 15th so they will have it in plenty of time. about fifty dollars a month but only need one or two clients to do something they would not have done otherwise and they are paid for for the year. and i write it off. also if only half of them put them on the fridge i imagin most people have at least a couple of friends and neighbors in their house each month. any other ideas?

7. Dynamic

Dynamic LawnSite Member

I don't want to be nagative but I would think uniforms/shirts is just standard as a professions . That is one of the biggest differences between us(professionals) and them(joes - retired, students, shift workers(non-insured)). Never mind its just good advertising and looks great but it really does separate us.

8. c-bass

c-bass LawnSite Member

dynamic, i agree with you but i have also seen many companies with the prettieset equipment, wearing polo pants and the crew has nice shirts and their work was horrible. i let my work seperate me from the others, pros or joes.

9. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Dynamic,
    I totally agree with your post.

C-Bass,
    A first impression is key in this industry and every other industry, so the more professional you look the better your sales should be especially if you do good work.

10. Dynamic

Dynamic LawnSite Member

C-Bass;
    I think the other way to be more professional is by paying your employees well and looking after them well. Out for lunch fridays, Monday breakfasts, good pay, paid uniforms, referral rewards. I strongly believe that if you look after your employees they will look after you and maybe this is why your competitior has uniforms but his work looks like crap. His employees are there just to make a dollar and don't care about anything else.
    FAIR PAY = FAIR WORKERS
    GREAT PAY = GREAT WORKERS, GREAT LOOKING LAWNS, MORE REFERRALS = CHEAP ADVERTISING