1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best pull behind aerator?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by FlyingZ06, Jul 13, 2007.

1. FlyingZ06

FlyingZ06 LawnSite Member
    from IN

what is the best to buy. not worried about price and don't want those POS ones from Lowes or home depot.
  2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I've used a Toro core aerator, did a very good job, a Lesco 48" tow behind, also good. My fave was the Aer-Way soil shatterer. Did a good job of alleviating compaction, but did minimal surface disruption. We used it on athletic fields and you could play on them right away, which was huge.
  3. stumpman

stumpman LawnSite Member

I have a Ryan Lawnaire 46 inch tow behind that weighs about 500 lbs. and it does a good job. But I like the aeravator by First Products best. You can use it even if the ground is hard and dry.
  4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Best one that I ever owned/used is a mid 60's Hahn-Westport unit about 4' wide, weighs about half a ton, has wheels that the spoons bolt to that are about 2' in diameter, Lots of spoons, close together, hydraulic pick up. I bought it wore out in the early 90's, and rebuilt it. Pull it with a Satoh 4wd diesel, about 15 HP, sometimes its a real load, but it always works!:waving: