1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Purchase of the Year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WJW Lawn, Dec 15, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Well guys and gals...06 is about done! What was best purchase of 2006?? Mine would have to be my Quick 36 Samurai!! She's a beast and has really come through for me! My next best purchase would be my Stihl br600---LOVE IT!
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

1994 Toyota Pickup 4cyl

In the day of high gas prices and the insane amount of driving I do there the Toy. was a great purchase for me. I drive 18-20K miles per year and the powerstroke gets crap for mileage. The Toy is great for "light" work, where I show up with a mulch shovel, wheelbarrow and a backpack blower. or for going to pick up those 6 plants for the little planting job at the nursery.

21mpg week in and week out in the Toy versus a range from 9 to 13MPG in the ford pig saves me big bucks at the end of the year.
  3. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

im seriously considering getting a yota for the same reasons you mentioned..although it hurts my ford pride, id rather hurt my pride than my wallet haha
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

It's been a really good year for me regarding this topic. The Samurai is only one day old but I know I'm gonna' love it. I also purchased a Bed Edger and a Plugr and they've made life so much easier.

But, right now I'd have to give the nod to my '05 F-150 XL. Having a Lariat F-250 for every day lawn care was crazy at times. Diesel is out the roof with prices and plopping my dirty, grass covered butt down on the leather seats mad me cringe every time. The F-150 with her vinyl seats and no carpet has been great. It's always hooked up to the small trailer ready to go and even though both trucks get about the same mpg pulling the trailer, gas is still at times 50 cents cheaper. :)
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I have no qualms about parking the ford now. I love driving the big truck, but it sucks getting hit with $100 fuel ups every 5-7 days. I drive the the same mileage on $45 in the Toyota.

$2900 for the truck and it actually lowered my Insurance adding it to the policy.
  6. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

didnt even think of that...yeah i was considering getting a early-ninties honda or yota car..like an accord or something that gets 25-30 mpg, but it would amke more sense to get a 4 banger yota truck, then i can pull my open trailer, or just fill the bed with something....definitly makes me rethink my options
  7. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

My best purchase would have to be my '05 Ram with the V8. I get pretty good mileage with it, 19 mpg highway without the trailer, 13 mpg in town with the trailer. I also bought a new Shindaiwa trimmer, and a '05 Lesco aerator.
  8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I got a LOT of new stuff this year. So much so that I look at how much I spent and then that makes EVERYTHING look bad:laugh: I would say it would probably have to be my 44 inch Dixon. Has been by far the best mower I have owned yet, and has been very reliable. I think my stick edger was also a good purchase too, as it has REALLY improved the way my lawns look, vs. just edging with the trimmer.
  9. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I've made several... but so far I'd have to say my BR600, FS90 and my 06 QC Dodge 3500 CTD would rate highest.
  10. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

my 2000 chevy van. with out the van, i would have no way to get to my jobs. that thing has some balls to it, took it up the back trails to the mountain on a very steep and washed out dirt road to test out it's preformance. can't kill the dam thing!!! although my brakes were probably begging for mercy on the way down.

next to the van would be the broadmoor.