best push mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WarEagleCRL, Sep 11, 2005.

1. WarEagleCRL

WarEagleCRL LawnSite Member

Is spending $1400 on a honda comm my best bet? $900 on a snapper? We had a snapper comm that was awesome but it was a dinosaur and finally quit. I always hated the bag on snappers though, especially if you have to dump it into a bag (almost impossible). My bro has a honda comm hes been using since 1990 and you never have to pull the cord more than twice. Of course, he takes extremely good care of it. I want one that will take some abuse because im sure not going to be the one using it, ha ha. The new hondas are mostly plastic now too. I bought a troy built with a 6.75 hp b&s engine thats a $300 pc of sh-t (couldnt resist b/c the hp). Just dropped another $400 on a husky with a 5.5 hp honda and now its bogging down and sputtering and the grass is not even thick. We've got a toro dealer and he said there's no comm toro push mower... is this true? I guess it doesnt matter if he wont get one anyway. Has anyone found a decent push mowerfor about $500 or am i going to have to throw down a grand or more on a freakin push mower?

2. DavesLawnCarePlus

DavesLawnCarePlus LawnSite Member

Hi there... Just wanted to let you know that toro do in fact have a line of commercial push mowers. I run two of them, both rear wheel drive personal pace self propelled machines. I can't say enough about them. The only maintenance other than oil changes I've had with them this year, mowing 30+ properties a week is that I've had to change the rear wheels once per machine. Great mowers that mulch well, bag well, and can make you a lot of money. I've decided to stay with the small equipment to pick up the leftovers from two major companies in my area and am doing unexpectedly well. Dealer support up here in Canada is great too. Check into the toro option. Honda's aren't bad but toro is recognized for their durability and longevity.

Good luck.

Dave

3. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion toro makes the best 21 in. mower. I bought a gravely commercial 21 two weeks ago what a mistake. the honda engine is great but the drive system sucks a**. 812.00 dollar piece of crap.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I told someone else this here the other day, but don't mind saying it again...

If and when I ever buy another 21"... I think it will be a Cub Cadet this time around.

5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You can get a used belt 32", 36" wb for under a grand and it will never break again. Those 21er is for people who are fooled for years, and generations what a waste of money.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

In general, I must admit what you say has a very heavy merit of fact. I do believe a lot of people do use 21's where they should be using 32's or 36's with much better sucess and productivity.

But when truely used as a "trim mower" a belt drive walkbehind has a lot of downfalls.
    But so does a self propelled 21" if the drive is not easy to use and operating flawlessly.
    Reason being? Quick manuerability.

In the end, all this is exactly why I said "if and when I ever buy another 21" mower."

For the most part, my Stihl is just as effective and productive of a 'trim mower'.

7. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Get a Toro 21" Commercial w/ 6.5HP Kawasaki or Cub Cadet 21" w/ 6HP Kawasaki. The Cub Cadet is right around $500.00 and the Toro around $1000.00. Someone said they have a Toro Commercial with personal pace, but they don't make them. They make a homeowner model with personal pace and the commercials have 3 speeds. The Kawasaki on the Toro has a gallon gas tank for non-stop mowing. Whenever I posted the same question, everyone raved about the Toro 21" Commercial. I have heard all bad things about the Honda Commercials, but very good things about their Home Depot models. The commercials sound like they are cheaply built for their price and you pay more because of the Honda engine. The Kawasaki probably has mor torque and very similar fuel consumption. Get one of these and you should be happy.

Toro 21" Commercial
    http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/wpm/proline21/22177.html

Exmark Metro 21 (same thing as Toro 21" Commercial)
    http://exmark.com/metro21.htm

Toro 22" Recycler w/ Personal Pace Self-Propel (only $370.00!)http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/recycler/20041.html

Cub Cadet 21" w/ Kawasaki engine
    http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_10233_16199_-1

I hope this helps.

8. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have the Toro Pro-line 21" mowers. Some of them have mowed about 600 - 700 residential properties and are still going strong. I have had a couple of cables break and had one head gasket (warranty) but that was about it. Next, I will need to replace some rear tires because they are getting a little bald.

Overall, I can't complain about the machines and will gladly buy some again.

I have the Kaw engine.

I have also used the personal pace mower and it was okay but it just can't handle the commercial abuse that my mowers get. For homeowners or light commercial it is okay.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The Honda is not a very good trim mowers it is heavy and the positive traction on both wheel make it hard to turn. It is a great bagger and works well on hills. I like the Snapper but you have to keep at the drive it takes some maintenance and it is a so/so mulcher.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 5 year old Honda Harmony II, homeowner. Never given any trouble whats so ever. Have another Honda Harmony II homeowner that is 7 years old. Both have been put worked hard but both still one pull starting and nice cut! $400 each at home depot!! Just my 2 cents! Good Luck!