Best Push Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KennMack, Sep 16, 2009.

1. KennMack

KennMack LawnSite Member

Looking to find a good push mower! Anybody have any suggestions on which push mower you recommend? Thanks for any suggestions! Also Hustler or Scagg? Which one do you think? Thanks

2. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

You can't go wrong with a Honda, I love mine.

3. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

Bobcat 21" push mowers from the 70's and 80's. 1/4" thick aluminum deck, easily replacable wheels, steel handle and the ubiquitous Briggs 5HP.

None of this blade brake, throttle cable, safety switch stuff. I have one and love it. This is not a picture of mine but Googled the Internet machine:

http://jnem2.home.att.net/pics/BC1.jpg

Shameless plug- I will be selling one of these mowers soon so if you are interested I can move that up. I picked up a couple on craigslist and want to swap some parts with the one I currently have. Once I'm done, both mowers will be for sale. Both units are fully functional and in good shape for a 30-40 year old mower. Let me know and I can send pics of the unit.

4. becpropertymaint.

becpropertymaint. LawnSite Senior Member

exmark or toro

5. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

We use a Honda residential self-propelled. Starts up on the first pull and works as promised by Honda. Sine we only use it on a couple of very small townhouse backyards a week it should last for years.

6. John Deere Mann

John Deere Mann LawnSite Member

I bought my frist Honda push mower this year. Not a problem!

7. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

IMO, if you are a solo operation, any high end home model will do fine for at least 5 years. I can say this from experience. I just retired a cub cadet 21" (briggs) push mower that was 11 years old. On average over the 11 years it was used to cut 10 yards a week, some of those yards were in the 4000sq ft range. I have a 21" poulan pro (honda) that is going to be 5 years old and has mowed about 8 yards a week. It is in excellent condition.The poulan doesn't push as nice as the cadet and the air filter and spark plug are much more sensitive to age than the cadet. This year I will be using a toro self propelled that I purchased used from an estate sale, it was used 3 years. Now if you have employees, you need to buy a tank that will mow! I've seen crews drive Zs over the top of push mowers!

8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Stock up on wheels if you cut on any slopes. I had to buy new wheels because the tires peel off the rim while side hilling. Better yet get the commercial wheels from Honda, the residential wheels I bought lasted 2 weeks.

9. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Honda, Snapper, Toro. They are all top of the line push mowers. Go with the best delaer between the 3.

10. Frierson

Frierson LawnSite Member

i use hondas, and love them. I would suggest them to anyone
    Posted via Mobile Device