Best Push Spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by villagegreenlandscape, Aug 22, 2008.

1. villagegreenlandscape

villagegreenlandscape LawnSite Member

My old Lesco push spreader is showing its age and I'm thinking about buy a new spreader. I've heard the new Lesco ones aren't good anymore. Is there a better one out there somewhere?
  2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a Prizelawn CBR III SS

It is an excellent spreader! Granted I did not buy it, it was given to me and I also do not do many fertilizations. I do my own and a couple of customers that don't demand me to use any pesticides with the fert.

I don't know what they cost but whatever it is, it is worth the money!
  3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Spyker 288 super. Bar none.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The Chinese-made Lesco spreaders look OK. Long adjustable handles. You need stainless steel for corrosion protection. You need a good system for pattern correction (like the Anderson's helical cone). One big hole is better than three small ones--maybe. Do you plan to roll onto a trailer? Or...lift onto a pickup? The weight is important if you need to lift it (make sure it is less than 35 pounds). Get the edger attachment, screen, and hopper cover, whatever you decide on. .
  5. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

Seems like the "internet consensus" (for whatever that is worth) is that the Andersons excels in good spread pattern/adjustment.

Many complain about Lesco's spread pattern. My experience with the Lesco is that I can achieve a uniform spread pattern IF I do an actual calibration adjustment regime as outlined at this site:

Even with this, I find my Lesco to be finicky and that from year to year, the output can change using the "same" product.....I wonder how much the product changes from season to season.

American...this leads us to your raving reviews of the Spyker 288. It is marketed as handling "bigger" products like mulch pellets if I recollect. It has only one hole. I see no adjustment for spread pattern (left/right).

So, how does it do with regular fertilizer granules vs. their other Spyker models?

Have you ever done a spread pattern test with collection pans? Seat of the pants (no stripes) is not good enough for me.

I want to believe in your assessment because I am tired of tweaking my Lesco all the time (last generation model, U.S. made).

Thanks.....this is a friendly challenge for you, American, to come up with some hard facts (or tell me how to), above anecdotal evidence.......PS, I respect you and your posts here.
  6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Spyker thunderbird which is the 288 with a motor. I like the spread pattern and it is very durable. I haven't seen the non-motorized units in person, but I assume they are pretty much similar. Lesco spreaders are "the standard" of the industry, but who wants the standard, we all want something better and more durable.
  7. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Anderson's SR2000.
  8. villagegreenlandscape

villagegreenlandscape LawnSite Member

It will be lifted onto a truck. Is there a reason I've never seen a stainless steel push spreader here in Texas?
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Spreader is easier to lift if it has a handle on the side of the hopper. Spreaders should be stainless steel.
    Maybe with your low humidity in Texas--maybe you don't have much rust. Does all your equipment look like new--even where the paint is chipped off. Do you ever bother to paint your snowplow or salt spreader? Wait--you don't have that stuff--do you?

Put a stainless steel eyebolt in place of one of the spreader handle bolts. Use it to attach a snap hook to keep spreader retained and upright in the truck bed. Use padlock when eating lunch.
  10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Is it because most applicators are Aggies and they aren't smart enough to use stainless?...Just a Razorback poking a little fun...