Best Rain Set Up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tn Lawn Man, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what you all have found to be the best rain set up for fesue yards has been.

I currently mow with a 48" wb with a set of high lifts.

However, it seems the suction that my mower/blades produces is very strong. I have to shut my blades down every couple of passes to allow the grass to fall down from the roof of the deck and shoot out the side. It leaves a huge glob of wet grass on the lawn.

I have thought about going to flat/no lift blades to see if that would help.

Any thoughts?

2. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

gator mulches

3. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

You have got to be kidding me. Maybe in Alaska

4. lawnworker

I want to know this also., and I have something to add to this question. Which blades produce the least discharge force---besides gators they SUCK ON WET GRASS--- and still have the ability to cut wet grass? Are high lifts the best for controlling broadcast length? Maybe shorter grass discharge blades would negate the wet grass discharge.The reason I want to know this is with my 48 TTHP I use gators to mow dry, so the discharge does not go 20 feet like it does with high lift foil knotches on. Come on blade experts who have done the experimenting let us know.

5. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I did pretty good the last couple days with my gators while its been wet. Today is another wet day and Ill be heading back out.

Just make sure the blades are sharp and you clean off the deck after every yard. Sometimes I raise the mower up so Im not cutting as much and sometimes it needs to be double cut.

6. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Just to clarify...the blades cut the grass fine. It is the suction produced that is the problem.

The grass sticks to the roof of the deck because of the suction force. When I disengage the blades the suction stops and thus the grass falls from the roof and onto the top of the blade and of course shoot out the discharge chute in a large clump.

If I could reduce the suction while keeping a good cut I think that would be the ideal set up.

7. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually disengage when Im on my trailer so I dont have to deal with the mess on the lawn or sidewalk. Just be careful.

8. lawnworker

Tn Lawn Man, Yeah this happens to me with high lifts also. If it is wet out, it will do this. On residential I try to make it to the trailer before stopping the blades. The low lifts might do the trick.

9. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I really don't think there's a blade out there that is going to give you superior performance in wet grass. These big mowers basically turn into one big, huge food processor when mowing wet grass. The blades simply aren't going to make a difference because the wet grass is just going to stick to EVERYTHING in and around the deck and the blades have nothing to do with this.

10. llama

llama LawnSite Member

take 1 $20 bill
    go to store
    buy 1 case of Bud Light
    pull mower back in garage
    get on mower
    stretch your legs out
    pop the top, drink
    pop the top, drink

repeat until empty or wife calls you in the house