1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best "residential" grade ZTR

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jim Clark, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Jim Clark

Jim Clark LawnSite Member

Which residential grade ZTR is closest to commercial standards?

Have test driven Dixon 4500 series and Toro Timecutter. From what I've read Hustler Fastrak is probably closest to commercial grade but Hustler dealer is a little too far away. Dixon handled nice and easy but Toro seemed more substantial, looked like Toro had borrowed features from the Z Master and Exmark lines and sized them down for residential use.

There was a Timecutter 16-44 that sold on Ebay for $3000 "allegedly" with 2 hours total time. Tried to get the guy to email the serial number to me but he wouldn't so I passed on it.

Hoping the moderator will leave this here long enough for some responses before moving it to the homeowners forum where nobody will see it.
  2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I would get either a Dixon ZTR, or a Hustler Fastrak. I used to have 2 Dixons, but I got rid of them because they were getting kind of old. I've demoed a Fastrak before, very nice.
  3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I don't like the Dixon. I just bought and resold a used Walker 16 HP 42" deck for $3600. With a speed up kit that would be a good mower for a home owner I would think. This one is going for commercial use. I would think that it would last you for more years than you would want. (With proper care this one would still be in great shape, when the time came you wanted a new toy.)
  4. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Go ahead and spend the extra money and buy the Lazer in the long run I think you will be alot happier.
  5. Jim Clark

Jim Clark LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention before that I also want to be able to mulch OR bag and I want to be able to plow snow for the occasional few inches we get in Virginia. The hustler doesn't have a plow attachment and it only has a side bagger option (not sure how that works). The Timecutter and Dixon have baggers and plows available.

There is another option, a local dealer who handles mostly commercial stuff has a leftover Ariens 1540 that he'll sell to me at cost. It does not look as substantial as the Toro.

I'm only going to be cutting 1 acre but I want it done fast and neat.

RVLI: Were your Dixons residential or commercial grade? There's quite a difference.

Brickman: The Walkers look nice but the unit they consider the residential grade only has 11 hp, doesn't seem like enough to me. Also don't think they have a plow available.

Scott: I'd love to have a Lazer or Z Master but I think it's overkill and I don't know if they can plow snow.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Timecutter 17-44. I'd be REALLY interested in the lawn care professional's opinion of these if they have seen or used them.

Thanks for the replies!

6. scottb

Im sure that you can get the same attachment for the Lazer series at least look at the Hp series Toro or Exmark. I like Toro but they have been known to mess up a few thing Wheel Hores for example.
    See if you can demo any of these and see how they perform. Tell them no demo no buy.
    Good luck on what ever your decison is.
  7. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

I'm not sure u can compare commercial ZTR equipment and the residential stuff form TORO/Dixon. Quality and construction are apples and oranges, not to mention the design. You'll see that the forum has suggested in previous posts there is no good ZTR for $3000.00. IMO spend the money....it's well worth it.

I have a commercial unit for residential use...(a 1.5 acre lawn=45 minutes with trimming) that just means it will last forever for what I use it for. I guess it all depends on our budget, closest dealer for service, and how long you want it to last.
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I would just buy a used 52" Walkbehind. You'll get done much quicker than riding a small, cheap, 44" ZTR wannabe mower with absolutely no trim side deck offset.

You can pick up used Hydro WB's with 17hp and 52" cut for a few thousand and will last you your lifetime, and maybe even your kids! An acre isn't all that much and will probably take you about a 1/2hour. Dont want to walk that 1/2 hour??? Get a sulkey or Velky.!

No ZTR is ever going to push snow successfully, you'd be better with a small snowblower or snowthrower 2 cycle.
  9. scottb

TLS is correct a good walkbehind would be better than a cheap ztr. And like he said with a velke not alot of walking involved. You can even get a sit down sulky. For the money you want to spend it's worth looking into.
  10. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim Clark if you reread my post I didn't mention the 11 HP Walker. I agree that isn't enough balls.

You can get blades, snow blowers, brooms, small loader buckets, etc. for the Walkers.