best residential set up?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by d.m.d., Sep 17, 2006.

1. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

if you were cutting strictly residential,i mean smaller yards 1/4 acre what would be the best set up?a 36 or 48 walk behind,a good 21 push mower?maybe a stihl blower and trimmer?i know this is a old question but give me some info please......thanks

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

1/4 lots are all about speed. (but not doing it so fast that the homeowner thinks they are getting robbed) If all I had was postage stamp lots I would have a 32" walk behind. (32 instead of 36 just to make sure I can make it into all the gate) and atleast a 48 walk behind. I'm glad thats not the case for me I have a 60 lazer and a 36 metro. I am seriously debating getting rid of the 36 and throwing another 60 inch on my trailer with a helper. FYI I hate walking behind mowers ride or die

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

We had 36'- 44"- 48"- W/Bs and the most used was the 44"
    It fit most gates. Cut grass fast.
    The 36 just took to long to cut even the smaller lots.
    The only mower you even want to look at for smaller lots is a dual hydro,

A 44" with velke, Mulch kit so you can cut both ways-- (no green houses:laugh: ) and a 21" will be a great set up.
    Good luck

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

for postage stamps.. I would get a 36" and a 21". all that fit in the back of a used Toyota Pickup. Toss in a small backpack blower and a string trimmer and you're good to go. The truck is the key piece. its small, easy to drive, gets great gas mileage and very cheap to insure.

5. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

already have a full size dodge and a 5x12 utility trailer(i just purchased)i currently work out of the back of my truck and it bites.....

6. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends alot on the neighborhoods. Down here alot of the newer communites are deed restricted and they cannot have fences, which is money for me cause it eliminates the need for worrying about fitting a mower through the gate.

If I had to start over and just buy one mower it would be a 48 lazer hp with stihl trimmer and edger, an echo 650 bp blower.

I have some yards that are cookie cutter (50 x110) and they can be done in like 7 minutes.

I would not even include a 22 on my trailer. IF a yard required a 22 for the back then I would pass on it.

just my $0.02

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

working out of a full size truck and a compact truck are two seperate things.

I've put my gravely WB in the back of my F350 and it is a PITA, unsafe (even with 8 or 10' ramps, slow, and un organized. I work out of the back of my toyota one day a week, totally different picture. I use 6' ramps, can pull the machine out of the truck without climbing up the ramps or into the truck because of the low load-height.

Since you have the new trailer you could use that behind a small truck too if you so desired.

8. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

i guess my main question is if you can by a 36 or a 48 walk behind and you were cutting 50x100 yards.....would it be better with a 48 or a 36?

9. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

i would start off with a 36" or the 40" turbo force deck toro is the only brand that has a 40" deck as far as i know, or if you want to ride, a hustler mini z, or the gravley 34" ztr is nice.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We use 36" Snapper and Scag WB on small lots for many years. Be careful with regard to considering riding unit for these yards some customers will not accept a rider. Obviously a hydro is a little less stressful than belt drive but I would save the money and get belt drive. A Scag belt drive is excellant. And for trimmers/blowers go with Echo they are proven 2 stroke and can be easily repaired if necessary.