best ride-on sprayer/spreader?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Apr 5, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Z-spray units:
    Positives = nice weed contol and product duribility. Good guys!
    Problem: it's a zero-turn. Requires two hands to steer and not able to operate deflector shield or shut off spray, etc while keeping two hands on the controls.

Perma Green units:
    Positives = easy to manuever. fun to drive.
    Problems = poor small-leaf weed control, constant corroded wiring, many parts shelling out, deflector shield prevents putting product along curbs for crabgrass control.

Both companies have very fine people who answer the phone.

Problem I find is the "actual unit"....

There has to be a solution. I'm thinking I might use the PG unit & re-engineering it. Changing the battery set up, tweaking the deflkctor shield, etc.?

I have ideas such as a motorcycle battery + eliminate the 90 degree fittings .. 90 degree resricts flow--dumb idea in the first place.

Currently we have two PG Ultras. One sprays poorly and does not spread (worn out coupler).

The other does not spray or spread (broken coupler and ?).

Both are 4 years old. Seems to me, expensive lawn care equipment should last longer than a "throw-away vacuum cleaner".

Our PG units have been broke down about twelve times over the past 4 years, (cost us money and customers).

Right now, I don't know where to turn.

Please help. Thanks.

p.s. "
    "senior members" who only respond with selfish critism of members are not appreciated by me.

Thanks to all. I totally respect ALL feedback. Those who criticioze the fact that the same subject has already been posted (no matter what subject) really DICUSTS me. Some of you are "senior" members??? Shame on you.

2. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I have the z-max and a PG.
    I take the z every where and use it on all (including my smallest) properties.
    I also pull a tow behind aerator with it.
    While the machine is a zero turn I have found that I can operate it with one hand.
    BTW there is also a foot operated button to work the sprayers.

I keep the pg as a spare now.
    The most it gets used now is when my son is at the shop with me.
    He loves riding it.

3. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I agree pilgrim. I own a z-max and can operate it with one hand. It only takes a second to stop and raise/lower deflector, spray works with foot control and hopper needs shut off before you turn anyway. While never operating a perm green I truly love my new z-max, especially with the 50 gallon capacity spray system. I owned a z-jr before this year and never had any problems at all. If you have any questions at any time, Tom and Andy are more than willing to help--great guys.

4. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member

I too often operate with one hand when needed. Agree with previous two posts.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

americanlawn,

PG has changed dramatically since 4 years ago.

Others,

What are the cost differences?

6. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

7. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Put your old units on Ebay! you will probable get 3 grand for the pair. then either buy the Z-Spray or a new PG Magnum. I'm on the 3rd season with my Magnum and still going strong. I don't see any reason the magnum wont go 10 years with proper maintenance.

8. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't that foot-shifter on the PG's drive you nuts? It looks like it would difficult to use, every time you needed to change directions. To keep from using the shifter any more than you have to, do you guys do circle patterns in your lawns, or do stripes, back and forth?

Since Z-Sprays have zero-turn capability, doing stripes, back and forth looks like it would be easy.

9. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, the only problem with the foot shifter is that it doesn't stick out far enough. I usually only have to use reverse to get off the trailer. Go forward and loop around - it's no big deal. You'd also think the lousy brakes on the PG would be a problem but they're really not. The transmission will keep you at a steady speed on any reasonable grade. It's a good reminder to not take the unit where it shouldn't be to begin with. If you have to use the brake, you're in the wrong place.

10. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

The foot shifter isn't a problem. I do go in a circular pattern, it makes turning a lot easier, and I usually only go need to use reverse a couple times a day if that. I carry a small Scott's hand held spreader for any tight spots.