Best rider or stand on for Bermuda lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Sep 24, 2007.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd like to hear input from those who mow a lot of hybrid Bermuda low at maybe 1.25"-1.75" at the beginning of the year to 2"-2.5" by summer's end.

What stand-on or rider gives the best cut when mulching? This would be for mowing small/medium properties, mostly relatively flat but a few minor hills. Anything too steep for a rider I'd pass on anyway. The main problem I have with Bermuda is finding one mower that will get through 48" gates and also handle curvy undulating turf they put in the new homes here. I'd consider a hydro wb if it were superior, but at my age I prefer to sit.

I'd rate my Lazer HP 48" a "B+ " on these lawns but they no longer make a 44" version and it won't fit through several gates, requiring the time consuming use of a 21" or 32" being pulled off the trailer and driven to the back yard. I've timed it and estimate it costs about 5-10 min each time. A surprising amount of that time lost is loading/unloading a 2nd mower. So my goal would be to have one "does it all" machine and pass on any lawns that it and a 21" can't handle.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The Walker does a pretty good job on that grass since it doesn't scalp as easily as other unit especially when mowing low.....but we have bagger not mulcher.

3. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

The only mower I can truly say leaves a great after finish beside the Walker is my Scag 36in wb.....My TT does a great job, but tends to scalp certain areas at times. My 36 leaves nice strips, and as for mulching does great as long as the lawn is dry....I hate mulching during this time of year because of all the dew in the morning......But its either a walker, or 36 wb.....JMO

4. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 46" Lazer HP and it is a beast on my quarter acre lots. I can honestly say that on my lawn that we treat, which is about 75% of them, this mower is the best mower I have ever used. The cut is always smooth, always even, and even stripes bermuda a little bit. I do have a mulch kit on it mulches like I just bagged the lawn, not a clipping in sight. Know this is cutting every week.

Bi-weekly cutting looks good too but I have to double cut for same results.

Now lets talk about weedy lawns.
    On these types of lawns this mower is the worst I have ever used. It seem like I have to cut the lawn 3 times to get an OK cut. Dallas grass and other grassy weed seems to hold its ground against this mower. Most grassy weed don't even look like they have been cut after I run over them. I don't know. Maybe its the mulch kit, I have never ran the mower without it.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

Hope this helps.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I agree we also use a 36" Scag WBith floating deck with mulch plate on and it does a pretty darn good job....forgot until you mentioned it.

6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I dont know what I would do without mine.....If ever in doubt, the 36 will knock it out. I wonder how well the 36in ZTR cuts???? As if I haven't spent enough cash this year, I think I am going to buy a Walker this weekend. With fall coming around the corner, I think it will help out with our time because wont be many leaves to blow especially if the winds are swirling. I was going to add a cam-shell bagger to my TT, but we mow too many lawns with hills and I am afraid it will throw the weight off. Growth is good, but it seems like I am looking to purchase just one more thing everyweek....

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the input, I like my Exmark mulching too. And the weedy stuff is a pain with the mulch kit on for sure. I keep a 2nd unit set up to discharge just for those. Unfortunately, the switch to a 46" cut as the smallest hp size means that the handfull of lawns I can squeeze a 44" through now I won't be able to with the 46". It's a compromise I'd have to think about.

8. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I use the 36" on gates that I cant get the 46" in. If it has a gate around it then its normally not a huge area to mow. I haven't had a problem yet.

Good luck

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

"On these types of lawns this is the worst I have ever used."
    I agree with that 100%. My lazer does good on centipeded, St. Augustine, and ok on bermuda. But on weedy lawns, it is horrible and on bahai it looks like it just lays it over, have to go over it at least twice. My 737 does good on all lawns but does not leave quite the finish that the lazer does on good lawns.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a used walker for $1500 and we have an old Scag Cougar which is a bagger.... We tried the Scag 36" ZTR and decided it was going to be a customer problem so we got Wright Sentar to go with our 36"WB Scag hydro. Next unit will be another Scag WB 36" with electric start this time.