Best riding lawn mower for home. I have 1 acre of lawn.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by David Miller, Jan 3, 2013.

1. David Miller

David Miller LawnSite Member

Please recommend best riding lawn mower for personal use. 1 acre of land.

2. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Most any make will do on "1 acre of land". When your on a mower for extended periods of time during the growing season every day is where you'll see the comforts or lack of.

3. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

You don't mention lay of your land (hills, slopes, obstacles) nor, more importantly, your budget. That aside, I'd be looking for at least a 48" mid to upper level consumer ztr. I am not impressed with any entry level z, certainly not for any property size above 1/2 acre. But that's my preference.

Check out (in no particular order):
    Ariens Max Zoom
    Country Cliper Jazee Pro - accepts a OEM snowblower
    Gravely ZT HD - same as Ariens with different engines
    Hustler FasTrak SD
    Dixie Chopper Magnum
    Bob-Cat FastCat Pro SE

Keep in mind that the models I suggested are more prosumer/entry commercial class; lessor models are also available that you might find more than enough machine for you. Other manufacturers (i.e. Exmark, Ferris, Cub, JD, ...) offer similar machines. I based my list on the dealers in my area I'd be most inclined to do business with.

Also, many would find me remiss if I didn't at least suggest purchasing a used commercial machine. However, when I was looking, the only used fully commercial units I found all had 2500+ hours, and priced around $4500 to $5000. Could be a geographical thing.

And be sure to demo, demo, demo. Happy hunting...

4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

5. Brules

Brules LawnSite Senior Member

Best? Anything the commercial guys around you use lol. It will just come down to what you are willing to pay, or not pay.

6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

You will love walker

7. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Ingersoll 4000 series.

8. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S. New Jersey

Scag Freedom z would be a good mower for you I bet.

9. show-n-go

show-n-go LawnSite Member

I have a flat acre of land at my house, i bought a Country clipper jazee pro
    52" with the joystick and i could'nt be happier. I was using a john deere tractor with a 54 inch cut, it used to take me at least an hour and a half with all the trimming. Now i am done in 45 min easy. Just the speed and zero turn make it so much faster to mow it's unreal. plus i think it gives a much better cut than the deere i was using and the deere was not a home depot special it was a 10k mower new.

10. Aaronnc

Aaronnc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7B

Anything on sale at Sears.