Best riding ZTR? Worst?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, May 25, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just wondering from some of you that have used several brands of ztr's which ones have the best ride? I am hearing alot about the new suspensions like Gravely and the front caster wheels that have some sort of springs. Love my Exmark but If I had a complaint it would be the choppy ride even with the suspension seat. They don't seem to be looking into improving the ride while other's have addressed this issue. The flatless front tires make the ride a bit rougher also but it's a good trade off. I'm not going to trade anytime soon but would like to know how these new mowers with suspension compare. Thanks.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

So far the Ferris 2000 we are demoing.

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Use a Ferris with full independant suspension for awhile (like a week +), and you will be amazed at the smoothness of the ride. When you just drive one around a dealer's parking lot, it doesn't seem that big of a deal, but after using one for awhile the difference is amazing.

4. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

As far as ride goes there is no comparison to the ferris. I have the IS 4500 and it is like driving a a big caddy across the field. It just floats. I can compare the ride to a grasshopper (midmount and front mount) dixie chopper, walker, scag, and exmark.

5. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely does not have suspensions. They do have suspension seats but so does everyone else.

The only mowers on the market with a suspension is Ferris. The suspension does make a big difference but I don't like the finish cut of the Ferris mowers.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, I meant Ferris. My Exmark cuts great, but alot of houses around here used to be cattle fields and they are a little rough. No one seems to smooth them out before they sow seed and some just use the field grass since it is fescue and just seed around the house where the construction tore the ground up. I can live with the rough ride but that's my biggest complaint.

7. efaubert1

efaubert1 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Not true, the Simplicity Cobalt Series has 4 wheel independent suspension also. Mind you, it is Ferris suspension, but it is still on the Simplicity.

8. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

Kubota's ZD's have good ride quality. :drinkup:

9. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

ive used scag, and hustler before (not owned, just used) and now got my ferris, amazing ride, you can cut much faster and not worry about imperfections, though of course you still have to slow down for the ocasional crater, but overall its much faster, plus they say their frames are thicker and stiffer b/c it doesnt have to absorb the bumps like other ztr's do. My finish is amazing with the ferris, ill post some pics of the stripes it does soon, w/ no kit either, just a real good mower.

10. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Kubota ZD's do have a nice ride..we have 3 of them.
    If cut wasn't an issue..hahaha..hands down the Ferris IS is a Lincoln mower.