Best Road Grading Implement?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by RockSet N' Grade, Nov 28, 2008.

1. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Have a ranch in Az. that has couple miles of road that continue to get potholed, washboarded......They have a tractor so it would be a 3 point attachment. Road Master, RoadRunner, Road Boss are the units I am looking at. What do you guys think would be the best unit of those 3 or is there one out there that may be better?

2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I would love to try the Roadrunner. It looks like it works well in the videos but real world, who knows?

3. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I just use a 9 foot 3 point blade on mine. Bushhog model 121 with 3 hydraulic cylinders, and i even have the box blade ends that bolt on. The blade is heavy in really cuts, and the blade ends hold all the rock in and fills the low spots. The 3 hyd cylinders allow me to crown the road, and pull the rock back up where you need it.

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I have a road runner. It does a good job. ABout 1/3 cost of skid steer grader and much more durable. Easy to handle. Would work best with CTL or behind a large tractor. If you get the option, get the hydraulic screw jack versus manual.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A blade for the front and wheel wobblies for the rear.

I knew one guy he had a old chunk of 12 inch H Beam he had weighted and pulled it behind his P/U truck.

I think if you want a grade job that is going to last have a contractor with a grader come in and give the road a shave every year.

6. RockSet N' Grade

YellowDog........is the hydraulic roller on the RoadRunner worth the addition?

7. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

I like the Roadrunner,but for potholes you might need to have a ripper to scarif the road bed.

Roadrunner would be faster because of the distance(length) of the road,but for filling holes, boxscraper with the ripper teeth would also be nice.

As stated before if you need to move material any distance the boxscraper will carry it farther to where it is needed.Too a limit of course:rolleyes:

You need to to have rock(gravel) to move around to do any real good for potholes.Here there usually isn't enough gravel to move back and forth to fill the holes.

So first gravel the road !!!!!!:):usflag:

8. YellowDogSVC

from TX

Can't answer that but I doubt it. I think it would make it heavy on anything but a large tractor. On loose soils, the roadrunner can pick up ALOT of material. Add in the nearly 1200lb weight and you have a heavy load. I would skip the roller and rent a skid steer compactor at the very least.
    What the ground like? We spread crushed gravel, caliche, and drainfield rock with the road runner. It will pull up rocks out of a road, however, and those will need to be removed by hand if there are too many larger ones. Because the roadrunner is like a box blade, it keeps the material inside until it spills over the blades. Larger rocks will usually keep moving with the grader. I move them to sides of road and just pick them up or kick them out later. Usually not too many come up because you can set it to "shave" the road instead of deep grading.

9. YellowDogSVC

from TX

Roadrunner offers a rezloh blade for the front blade now which, I've heard, can help scarify if used properly.

10. RockSet N' Grade

Gotcha Constructo on the material end. We have someone doing general length/width measurements as we speak and negotiating to have bulk material moved on site before this little adventure begins. Just looking for the best implement to provide them with that they can use with the equipment they have on hand to do the preliminary job and maintenance/upkeep down the road. Interesting project for me to organize over emails and phone calls without being on site to do the work my self........If I was there to do it, it would all be done by now........but that is not the case........so the adventure continues.....thanks all for the input....