Best Saw?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawnmaniac883, Apr 29, 2006.

1. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, please do not start a pissing match about stihl vs husky vs echo.

I am looking for a new STIHL saw. I will need enough power for falling a tree and preferably a 20'' bar.

I want either a mid range or pro saw. Will be used occasionaly but must perform when I need it to. Please list your suggestions with the most recent model #'s i.e. instead of 026; 260. It would help if you could either post or pm me a price but am looking in the 500+ category. I would call the dealer but it is a saturday night. Thanks for your suggestions.

2. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

I'm told by a friend in the tree business that the Farm Boss is awsome. Runs in the 400 range I believe.

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Stihl MS 260 PRO $489.95 with a 20" bar. You could also look at the following saws that carry a 20" bar: MS 390, MS 361,361 C-Q & MS 440. Those all carry a 20" bar. The MS 441 (New model),MS 650 & MS 660 carry a 25" bar. Then you have the MS 880 that carries from a 17" to a 59" with a recommended bar and chain combo of 21". Hope this helps you some

Rob

4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

For what you want, I'd go with the MS361, its supposed to be an AWESOME saw, and its pro built. its either that, or I'd recommend an MS440/460(getting up into the $700-800 range there)

5. treemeat

treemeat LawnSite Member

Farm boss is 3lbs heavier than MS260, same horsepower. MS260, IMO is the best all around saw, excellent power to weight ratio, but you do pay for it. The lighter weight really helps on a long job, as does its good vibration dampening. I run an 18'' bar on mine and have drilled out the muffler--cuts very fast and smooth. I've considered a 20'' bar for better reach.

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what I was thinking about is the MS361 but my information is based only on what I read on stihls website. What is the difference between the 361 and the 361C-Q?

The MS440/460 are a little out of my price range and are a little heavier than I'd like. Anyone out there running a MS361?

7. Lazer_Z

from NJ

lawn, The MS 361 C-Q has an extra chain break built into the handle. So basically you have 2 chain breaks. You remove your hand from the rear handle and the chain stops or you can push the front mounted break forward and the chain stops.

Rob

8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Steer clear of any saw with the C-Q designation, its just a chainbrake feature that is a bigger hindrance than help. go ask on arboristsite.com about peoples experiences with the 361 in the chainsaw forum, you'll get a great response.

9. Lazer_Z

from NJ

Thanks for adding that Lawn Masters I've never used one so I was just going by what he was looking for and I had my '06 master catalog handy.

Rob

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Just buy a HUSKY 372xp and be done with it!!!! :) JMO