Best Self Prop. Mower for cemetery??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spud33, Sep 23, 2004.

1. spud33

spud33 LawnSite Member

I Need Help. I manage a 16 acre cemetery with monuments, retaining walls, and copings. I need to find a good commercial type self propelled lawn mower that is no larger than 22 inch cut. We have been using John Deere JX 85 s for several years, but they stopped making them and the JX-75 is not tough enough to withstand the rigors of cemetery work. John Deere is also extremely expensive for parts and if a transmission goes, it is over $ 300.00 to fix.
    Would love to hear from anyone that has had some experience with other brands of the smaller commercial self - propelled. And also would love to talk with other cemetery maintainers.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

They stopped making the 85? That was the 5 speed commercial job with the steel wheels and Kawisaki engines right? We had two of those and they were great mowers.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Honda or Toro either one are great. The commerical model will run around $900-$1000

4. jaguar4000

jaguar4000 LawnSite Member

check out the cub cadet 21 w/ front caster wheels & 6.5 kawi. My brother n law has one 6 yrs old he uses on heavy st. augustine here in Florida. Has been a great mower. Great transmission and maneuvers easy w/ the front casters. Getting one next spring myself. If you do not have a dealer you can find it at Lowe's. Good Luck!!

5. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

According to consumer and commercial reports, the Honda HRX with the clip director, double blades and versamow system is #1. I bought one last month and NEVER used a better 21" mower period

6. jaguar4000

forgot to mention the cub cadet 21 is priced around $500 to $550 I believe. Can't beat it for a 21.

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Just looked at their site, is yours a 215 or 216?

8. spud33

spud33 LawnSite Member

The Jx 85 is gone. They changed the steel wheels to plastic ones and the gears are not as tough. I just need to change over to something stronger and longer lasting. I see that many of you run Prolines, I take it that is a commercial type TORO. You can't beat those Kawasaki engines.

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That's a fine mower for the homeowner as it is made for but I doubt seriously that it would hold up under daily commerical use.

10. jaguar4000

it may not be termed commercial, but if you check it out I think you will see that it is close to commercial quality. How many hrs in a week is an LCO going to put on a 21 anyway? If alot is the answer then they need to get in another biz b/c not much money is made operating a 21. Usually just used for trimming or small courtyards etc. I had a commercial grade snapper that lasted for yrs and it was no where near the quality of the cub. Anyways I have seen and operated them all- toro, honda, lawnboy etc. I would buy 2 of these at $530 bucks or so before I even thought about buying one commercial honda at $800 - $900. Would be money far ahead. My 2 cents worth.