Best Separation Method?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by S&M Lawn Care, Oct 12, 2006.

1. S&M Lawn Care

S&M Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I am in business with a partner. We are currently servicing on average about 21 lawns a week. We are both 16, and i do all the work when it comes to marketing/bookwork/financial. I know that if i take over the business solo i can take it to the next step it needs to be. We are entering the winter season up here in wisconsin and by next mowing season i would like to be a solo operator. I think i could convince him to just let me take over the business for nothing but im not sure. Any suggestions? One idea would for me to take it over. But for the job he helps me with he gets 50% of gross for that job. Any ideas please? Also by next summer i will be licensed and insured.

P.S. Do you think i should change the name of my business "S & M Lawn Care" for when im solo if the "M" is from his last name? Or should i leave it

Thanks!

2. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

I would change the name for sure. Sounds like it should be more like 60/40 or something becuse you do the hard stuff (the paperwork). I think he will let you take it over, if he doesnt you could always make him do the paper work next season and say "its only fair" Im sure he will let you have the biz then.

3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Sounds like a leech to me. Wants the rewards but doesn't put in the hours. Running a biz is nearly a 24/7 deal. Dump him. It doesn't matter how. Lesson learned. Don't partner up in biz with friends.

4. S&M Lawn Care

but the only problem is i dont know if he will just give it up to me at this point. i think my plan will be to wait until business slows down over the winter months and then go for it.. that means it wont be S & M Lawn Care anymore! what should i name it then?

5. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

offer to buy him out, so you spend a little bit learn a lesson and can take the business to the next step. yeah it will cost you to get rid of him, but you will make it back in 100% profits instead of 50/50 when your working 60/40

just my opinion, but may not be the best solution:dizzy:

6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

what does the S stand for? Use your full last name and call it S***** Lawn Care. Tell him you dont like being a partnership and want to fly solo. At your age if you can learn to step up and put your foot down, and speak your mind, you will learn how to read people and not get stepped all over later in life. A 16 year old against a 50 year old, you dont stand a chance. He will be able to walk all over you.

7. S&M Lawn Care

good advice. thank you very much for your help, anyone else?

8. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt tell ppl that you are the most succsesful teen in wisconsin. Im preety sure instead of walking on you they will run you over with there mowers and cars. Just a hint

9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

What does the S stand for?

10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Where did this come from? Did I miss something? Has he been telling ppl that?