Best set up for cutting pavers?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tamo, Dec 15, 2009.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

In the few paver jobs I've done in the past I've always used a tub saw.

I'm going to be buying some equipment this winter. What's the best way to cut pavers.

I guess the 3 options are:

tub saw
    cut off saw
    splitter

I know each has its own benefits. Would a splitter and a cut off saw be a good combo to make all of the necessary cuts?

thanks.

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Alot of guys "cut in place" with the cut off saw, I personally like the tile saw the best. Splitters are great but only for certain applications. Its all about preferance. If you like breathing dust and pissing off the neighbours then "cutting in place" is the way to go. There are water attachments that keep the dust in control, but its a hell of a mess too. The sand bed and brick pavers take a beating also with this method.

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm getting ready to buy a new saw, any recommendations zedosix?

4. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Zed06. I personally have 2 MK Saws. 1. Mk Diamond "Brick Extreme" 14" (Dry) Brick Saw. Light, affordable, very portable and VERY Dusty. 2. MK-2001 14" Elec. Wet Saw with stand. Zero dust is a beautiful thing! Very pleased with both. For very small jobs, like a running bond walkway with 10 to 15 cuts at the ends, i just use my grinder with a 7" blade. I also find myself using the small grinder with a 4" blade for scoring or sculpting. I remember the good old days when i first started out (13 or so years) on my knees, in a cloud of dust with a skill saw in hand cutting away. Crazy!

5. zedosix

155961 Pro MK-2005 is the code for this saw. Check it out. I believe they took over from "target" a couple years back.

mk diamond saw.jpg

6. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

hey Zedosix. Do you know anything about this company? www.contrxsystems.com I'm also in the market for a new, bigger saw. 20 to 22 inch. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Off subject.........is the 2010 Vet with the LS9 under the hood on your christmas wish list?

7. zedosix

Never heard of them, I know of a few guys who run the bigger saws with the 20" blade. Thats alot of saw, necessary if you do alot of srw walls I suppose.

ya, thats quite a car isn't it. I just plain can't afford the 150k plus tax. Maybe in a year or two if the price comes down. Here's the one I'll get when I'm ready. By then they will have the new c7 and the prices should be within reach! I hope.

zr1.jpg

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

That's an awesome saw, nice price too. I was poking around and found this one. Link does it look identical to you? I prefer to keep things electric because we'll usually bring our generator and put it far off to keep noise levels down. Thanks!

9. billwlod

billwlod LawnSite Member
    from KELOWNA

Tub saw is the best but you have set up time walking back and fourth clean up and storage.
    Chop saw is quick and easy buy 2 for the price of a tub saw get a Husqvarna 750 0r 960 The partner I have requires way to much maintenance compared to my husky. Way better filter on it!! http://www.dowdconstructionsupply.com/HusqvarnaK750.html

Brick breaker for the tumbled roman pavers to get the same look when you cut (get one at princess auto $100)

10. billwlod

billwlod LawnSite Member
    from KELOWNA

I meant the stihl not partner