Best skid/CTL for dozer type leveling/grading

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Aug 9, 2012.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The ASV undercarraige was such a success that Cat did not need to come out with a conventional CTL with a rigid undercarraige? Right?

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

looked up so close up pics. I see the older ones had 2 sets or bogies on each side

3. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Almost right. Cat knew that the ASV undercarriage is state of the art for specific applications. This is why Cat bought a stake in the company. Cat also knew that the undercarriage had problems in rocky conditions so they had to develop a rigid platform as well.

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

5. talus

talus LawnSite Senior Member

Oh come on man.:laugh:

289 = ctl

277 = mtl/ ASV type

6. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

The CTL's have all steel undercarriages and are more rigid and sturdy it sounds like than the MTL's undercarriages.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Ctl is a compact track loader, all steel undercarriages. for example a bobcat , takkie, kubota, johndeere, or any of the 9 series cats. (259,279,289,299) A Mtl is a multi terrain loader, and example would be machines with the suspension undercarriages such as ASV machines, Terex machines, and the cat 7 series(257,277,287,297)

8. excav8ter

excav8ter LawnSite Member

Replaced my D4C with a Takeuchi TL 130 ....never looked back. If I have a job big enough to require a dozer, I sub out the job, or rent it. While I know many guys swear buy the ASV/Cat/Terex undercarriage, I can't see having to spend that kind of $$$$ for U/C maintenance. Skip the suspended U/C and learn how to grade, then it won't ride so rough. :)

9. Cornell

Cornell LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Any CTL with a sharp cutting edge IMO

lol

10. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

My buddy just traded his 287c for a 289c. At 2000 hrs he was looking at 13k for a new undercarriage so he traded. The 289c does not have the traction or stability the 287c does. Not by much but there is a difference.

I have had a tl150 for about a year. It was just too big to haul on our isuzu frr, but i bet that thing is about as close to a dozer as you can get.