1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best skid steer for me?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dig-it Landscaping, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

What would be the best skid steer for me? I need something reliable that will be used to lift mainly dirt and rock for landscape installations. Also will be used to lift skids of pavers(3000lbs). I know that to lift that much weight i will need a large machine but i would prefer a smaller more compact machine even if i have to move 1/2 skid at a time. Cost is also a big factor. I would probably be looking for a piece of used equipment. How many is too many hours? I really like the ride or walk behind miniskid steer loaders. i was extremely impressed with the Eagle Finn that i rented with the CAT DIESEL but i am worried that one of those would constantly have the back tires off of the ground if i picked up a 1500Lb skid of pavers. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.
  2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

We run a Mustang 2109 it is horrible for excavation type work, but for running pallets of stone its the absolute bomb. Its a very heavy machine but like i said will carry full pallets of stone with little problem. I know some guys that run a 734 i think it is bobcat which is a big lighter, and can handle pallets of stone. If your big on landscape like plantings n stuff the best machine for that type of stuff without a doubt is a Kubota excavator. My boss has 3 Kubotas and they are awesome for planting. The machine is very light weight, can be pulled with a 3/4 ton truck and wont damage grass as much as a skidsteer. Its compact size and versitility is great, the other day we were doing a large scale planting job n mulch job. I was able to drive up on several large, unremovable rocks to get the mulch behind them. I mean these rocks had pretty much flat faces on the sides the kubota went right up on it, jus like a jeep doing rock climbing, it has 2 hi, 4 lo, 4hi. I jus love the machine, front loader, backhoe, lights for night work.

3. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

One of those kubotas can't lift a pallet of pavers can they?
  4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's a compact tractor, the only way the *might* be able to lift a 3k skid of pavers would be with the 3 point setup in back.

I think the JD 4300 tractor at work is rated at 900 lbs on the bucket, 1900 on the 3 pt.... You'd need a large tractor to do a full pallet...

As for skidsteers, it's really going to come down to preferance, and what is available. I'm not sure what the specs are for them, but I would think a Bobcat 773/S185 (I *think* that's the new number...) would be in the right size range for what you are looking for. The old "class II" style JD 250 would be just fine too. I'm not too familiar with the other manufacturers.

As for too many hours, as long as the machine was well maintained, you probably would be fine with a machine with 1-2000 hours on it. It will all vary by the maintenance on the machine as well as the way it was operated. Look for machines that were owned by smaller excavation companies, preferably ones that had maybe the owner and one or two employees. The smaller the company, the more likely the machine was taken care of.