Best Skid Steer Loader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by superbee, May 25, 2008.

1. superbee

superbee LawnSite Member

I need some help guys. I want to start looking for a good used midsized skid steer and I would like some opinions on which brands you would recommend. It would be used for grading around residential lots mostly and moving dirt. I live in a larger metropolitan area so most major brands could be supported. At this point, I'm kind of partial to the Bobcats but I see alot of other brands out there. We have a Kubota B20 backhoe now but I've never used a skid steer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Try a case 440. Think it should work well for your app.

3. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Since you never have ran a skid loader before I would highly recommend getting joystick controls with the pattern like Cat and Takeuchi where the left joy stick controls all machine movement and the right joy stick controls all boom and loader functions. Try out Case and Cat, I think you will fall in love with either. If you are mainly grading then I would also reocomend a radial lift path style instead of vertical since radial style machines tend to do a better job at grading with faster movement response. Also since you only want a skid steer and not a track machine then I would also choose a tire that has air filled but has the thick layer of gel to prevent any flats. I don't like foam filled since they give a rough ride and make the machine very heavy and don't give as much traction since the tires are rigid and don't squat to give more traction. When it comes to skid loaders you will get allot of different opinions since the market is flooded with great machines. Good luck and make sure you tell us what machines you try out and what one you end up going with.

4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Try them all out, right now Cat and Bobcat's are the dominant names.

5. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

It's the hot rod of skids. If you don't need the two speed try a 70XT.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I will give a "Hell ya" to the CASE 440. Great machine.

7. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

bobcats all the way!!! they hold up great for us

8. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I say go with the one that has a close dealer, good service support and good price. I like the Deere machines real well and they are the popular machine around this area. Deere,Case, New Holland, Bobcat, and Gehl are the brands I would stay with. If you where after a CTL then I would add a Takeuchi in the mix.

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

were looking to buy a machine right now and are demoing all of them....right now cat is my favorite but case is right behind

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

i see alot of new holland around here