Best Skid Steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by scorpian5, Apr 1, 2010.

1. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be happy to sell you my cat 242. I think I'm going to trade for a 440 if that tells you anything.

2. Bryce Mock

Bryce Mock LawnSite Member

Case 90xt they arent the newest machines but they have tons of power and would do about anything you could want it to!!! I mean we dug a basement with ours!!!

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The 440 is probably my all time favorite skid steer. Does a lot of things very well.

4. bansheefreak

bansheefreak LawnSite Member

a cat 257 is the best out there .. there is nothing out there that can out work it.. i have ran one since that have came out we had 3 of them at one time but one got stolen so we have 2 now.. lets says our case sits at the shop..

5. zabmasonry

zabmasonry LawnSite Senior Member
    from C. VT

I'd say more important then brand is the dealer, do you use NH tractors and have a relationship with the NH dealer? or do you know that one of the three you listed has a really good reputation?

6. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcat S250. I remember reading an article about a farmer who put on 8000 hours in 3 or 4 years on his , with no problems minus wear and tear. He owned a large dairy operation (milked 500 or so cows). Remember farmers work every single day of the year , (6 hours a day x 365 days x 4 years= 8760 hours)

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

CAT makes some competent machines, you are certainly in the minority in naming that one as a "best machine".

8. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

now this is good advice!

9. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

nothing out there can outwork a CAT 257? I realize this is an opinion forum but what do you base that on?

When I see comments like this, and I'm not making a personal attack against Banseefreak, I have to ask how much seat time have they really put in a machine?
    I'm well over 12,000 hours in just skids. Probably closing in on 13000 hours and I have run a lot of different models, sizes, horsepower, and styles going back to the mid-90's and I can't tell anyone which one will outwork the rest.

So, even with all the drama, the point is these are just opinions and everyone has one. I really think the best skid steer is the one that will consistently get the given job done and have very little to no major issues. A great operator can turn a so-so skid steer into the "best" skid steer. Dealer support really helps round out a vote for "best" machine whether it's a CAT with 10 hours or a Bobcat s250 with 8000 hours. Without good support and a competent operator, it can't reach it's highest level of productivity.

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I hear the most popular skid steer, and by far the best is "paid for".