1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Slitseeding process and machine????

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by BeautifulBlooms, Apr 15, 2008.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for someones bets process for overseeding or slitseeding. I have a few lawns where people want seed incorporated this spring.

I have done the aeration then slice seed with a Bluebird slice seeder but didnt find that to be enough. I did the aertaion int he fall and then ran the slice seeder over the cores to break them up and give some soil to work the seed into. I wasn't totally satisfied with that process and its results.

Anyone have some advice as to a machine to use that will get the seed in good contact with the soil without having to rent 2 machine and do two processes?

Help me out here, I need to get some results out of the process.

2. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

my understanding has always been that there are two ways to overseed. the first is aeration followed by rotaryseeding which is good if the lawn doesn't need major renovation.

The other way I understand is to slit-seed, which places the seed under the soil for you providing more protection and better results.

My understanding could be inaccurate.

Perhaps some can enlighten both of us to the most effective way to overseed in the fall...

3. QLC- Rick

QLC- Rick LawnSite Member

I have a Lesco renovator and have good results with it. I also aerate then slice, I use the aerator to work the amendments into the soil like lime/starter/etc. If you catch the moisture content of the soil just right the aerator has more of a tiller effect on the bare spots. After aerating I sometimes top dress with compost and/or top soil (depends on the conditions), then come back and slice it with the renovator. It all works pretty good, of course rainfall and homeowners' irrigation practices have a big effect that you don't have much control over, usually.

The only other machine, without getting into tractor implements and attachments, that would be as or more effective...imo...is a tiller. Till all your amendments into the soil, let it settle, rake it smooth then overseed, then top dress with soil/compost.

Also, when I run the slicer I go in two directions then follow up with a light overseeding with the rotary spreader. One problem I've found with that though is if you don't get good irrigation right away, that seed on top won't do much.
  4. CrownLawnSvc

CrownLawnSvc LawnSite Member

Ryan Mataway. It is a walk behind version. They are not as easy to use as a blubird, but sets the seed much better. A couple of rental yards have them around here.
  5. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

The Mataway Overseeder looks like a pretty quality machine after watching the video on their website. The info is much appreciated.

I still have several questions - I hope you don't mind: :confused:

1. How short do you normally mow before you overseed (say a fescue blend)?
    2. Should you rake after overseeding?
    3. How long does it normally take to get back to looking normal after overseeding?
    4. Do you put down a starter fert afterwards?
    5. Would topdressing be appropriate after overseeding if it was necessary?
  6. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

Download the "Rental" video from our website.

It really is this easy. Don't make overseeding harder than it is.

Just run our machine 2 direction, add water, and the results speak for them selves.
  7. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

Sounds like a quality product. There is on near me that I will rent in the fall. That's a very helpful video to understanding the process. I am really looking forward to using this.

8. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

Send me your City / State and I'll look up who we have sold them to in your area. We have lots of rental stores around the country purchasing these units. We will add in a rental store locator to our website shortly. It is a custom application so it will take a little time than a generic dealer locator. We are going to add model specific information to the locator.
  9. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I would be interested in rentals in milwaukee, WI and a dealer in the area also. I think Reinders carries it but they dont rent it out.
  10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Are you making two passes with the seeder?? I get good results with aerating then overseeding and I also have Bluebirds S22 seeder but I do one step that you didn't list. I roll every lawn I seed and I also apply a good starter fertilizer and I always check soil PH before I seed a lawn.