Best Small Push MOWER?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Ole JIM, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Ole JIM

Ole JIM LawnSite Member

I am Tired of Buying small Push Mowers!--so I*LL Ask? what MAKE? & MODEL? small PUSH Mower is the BEST? & I don*t Care for the Fancy Extras--just Want to CUT Heavy GRASS--& Not Bag It!--I*D like One that STARTS w/ Out my Pull ARM being 6 inches Longer than When I first Tried to Start IT!--& One that Don*t Leak Oil all over the Place! You know!--One YOU start & USE!--& Clean & Put Away! & its Ready to GO!--the next Time You need IT!--One the Plastic Wheels don*t Fall OFF--the Handel don*t Crack or Bend & It Runs & Cuts GRASS All Summer LONG!--SO to All YOU PROS!--I have ASKED?--& THANKS in Advance!-- Heres the SCOOP--I*M a Retiee & last FALL started taking Care of Homes being SOLD--that have Neglected Yards!--My JOB is Cutting Tall GRASS--& Sprucing UP these Yards--Racking & Trimming Shurbry--& filling In small Bad Spots--Nothing SERIOUS!--just Simple Stuff!--but--Enough on the Every Day Cheap MOWERS--as I went hrough Three last FALL!--So YOU PROS Please Advise!--OLe JIM--

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Toro, Honda, and Lawn Boy all make some very good push mowers.

3. Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns LawnSite Member

I would try to get the most power and a mower known for great mulching. Which brings me to a Toro Super Recycler or a Snapper with Ninja mulch blades. The Toro has a 5 year warrenty and the Snapper has a 4 year warrenty. So if anything goes wrong you are covered!! I use a Honda, but will replace it soon with a Snapper. The Honda is 12 + years old and has ALWAYS started on the first pull 85% of the time and definately by the second pull the rest of the time. Hondas are great mowers, but for me Snapper offers more for the money!

4. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

Ariens are good.

5. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Forget the brand names, we've owned them ALL in the propelled versions. And they are great for being propelled -but they're too danged heavy (100+ lbs) for being pushes up hillsides.

We've tried hard to destroy our $160 WalMart (48 lb), side discharge MTD big-wheel pushes w/ 4hp B&S. But they keep lasting for 3 seasons, and they'll do the same for you:

IF ...YOU secure your mower's handles and wheels while in transit, and don't just let them roll and bang around with every inertia;

IF... YOU change out your 10-W-30 oil with NO MORE THAN 20 oz (or strict recommended amount) of new 10-W-30 Quaker 4x4 part-synthetic oil at least once every other month (why would you want the oil to smoke and LEAK out your exhaust when it's OVERFILLED?);

IF ...YOU quit cutting ...when lawns are dry, crunchy, kick up clouds of DUST that gets SUCKED into sandblasting your air filter & carb assembly to where you need new air filters and carb/choke cleaner.
    IF ...YOU need to cut when it's like that - get ready to brush off your air filters alot or TO BUY NEW air filters at least once or twice a year!
    Learn to CUT as much as you can AFTER IT RAINS when the season is hot enough to dry everything to dust -Like us PRO's do;

Your pull-start will be alot smoother:
    IF ...YOU wirebrush /change-out your spark plug 2-3 times a year and (remove spark plug wire when) keep the UNDERSIDE of the DECK clean, and follow the the above REGULAR EQUIPMENT MAINTENENCE....

..."nayuh, nayuh - old fella sez"!