best sod cutter

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by snipandclipky, Feb 18, 2004.

1. snipandclipky

snipandclipky LawnSite Member
    from ky

our company is interested in purchasing a sod cutter. What types have you used or would you reccommend.

Ryan, bluebird, claussen, turfco?
    Others?

Which one would you buy?

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

We have an old Ryan. Not sure what others are like. We had rented one at my former employers that was red (Claussen?) and had a motorcycle-grip style throttle control that was a really nice feature.

Which to buy? Any that cuts better and faster than a shovel!

Dan

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i got a sod kicker never runs out of gas LOL

4. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

Dusty,

That sod kicker is irreplaceable. It has saved my but too many times on those small jobs. :)

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Ryan for us ...... We had to disconnect the "low oil warning" feature(simply unhook the wire) because as soon as you would be on any kind of small slope it would automatically shut down. Other than that it's been a fine machine.

6. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 ryans, one is from 1960 and I still use it all the time, They don't make that model anymore. It cuts a 12" wide path and is great in smaller areas. The other one cuts an 18" path. Both are great.

7. chesie

chesie LawnSite Member

We have a ryan and it is a great asset to our biz. Honestly if i were in the market for a new one i would look closely at a turfco.

Check you local rental yard. We bought our ryan from United Rentals for a song. Check em out....they do put out some deals.

8. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I know a new Ryan is about 3000 bucks, not cheap. If you keep your eyes open, you may be able to find a good deal on a used one.

9. Some models I would consider :
    BlueBird
    BillyGoat
    Turfco,
    I have a Ryan that I picked up for $700 with only 6 hrs on it, of which, 2 hrs were my rental. The place I rented from was going out of business, had the cash on hand, got the machine.

I saw the BillyGoat version at a trade show last month. What impressed me was the compact size and it wasn't top heavy like the Ryan. Something to consider if you work on hills.
    John

10. G&S LANDSCAPING

G&S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

Blue bird- Easy to use, and all wheel drive. Also get a -sod kicker thay work great for small jobs. Purchased a new Bluebird sod cutter in 2003. Priceless!!!!!!!!!!! .Try renting different brands, Find out what works best for you. For us it was- BLUEBIRD. :D