Best sod for coastal area?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mx315, Apr 17, 2008.

1. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

If you were resodding your own yard, what would it be St. Augustine or Centipede? I'm in the process of redoing my own lawn and can't make up my mind about which grass I want to install. Taking everything into account, such as fertilizer, weeds, pests, disease ect... what would you install. I'm about 1200 feet from the gulf so salt spray maybe a factor. I'm leaning toward the St. Augustine, mainly because of the look. Those are the only two choices I have b/c my wife is allergic to everything else.

2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Yes, St. Augustine. It will handle the salt, the sun, shade, looks good, easy to maintain.

3. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

what about seashore paspalum?

4. Tider6972

from Alabama

That sounds really good; it's new to me. I couldn't find a picture, does it look like Bermuda?

Where in Pensacola do you operate, Elden?

5. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

I did some research and it looks like a good option for this area, but nobody has it. We ripped the old yard out yesterday. I'm going to add a couple of inches of compost or topsoil then put some sod down in a week or so. Looks like St. Augustine will be the best option. Thanks for the input.

6. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

7. Tider6972

from Alabama

Montgomery; but not happy. To far from salt water!

I'm looking now to moving to your area, Gulf Breeze preferably. I've always thought I'd like it there. I bought an offshore boat last spring, and towing to the Gulf is killing me $$$$. ..my truck also, lost 2nd gear on the return trip 2 weeks ago:cry:

Problem is my son goes to UA in Tuscaloosa, and I've been a single parent for 19 years - not sure I want to be 6 hours away in case of emergency. But I'm missing a lot of fishing and diving by being 3 1/2 hours from the water, and it's prime-time!

I do mowing only; I've got other irons in the fire outside the green industry.

8. poipuyardcrew

poipuyardcrew LawnSite Member

Out here in Hawaii we are surrounded with coast. All the hotels out here have Seashore it looks great.

9. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

Gulf Breeze is nice. The housing market is really slow here now. My dad said that he was talkin to a few builders that he does termite treatments for and they were complaining how they were having to sit on houses cause no one is buying. My sister in law just bought a house last year that origianly sold for 215k bought it one year later from the original purchaser for 175k. When hurricane Ivan came through here the prices went through the roof, especially in Gulf Breeze, Navarre, and Perdido. I said all that to say now is the time to buy around here.

10. Tider6972

from Alabama

Yes, I'm dealing with a realtor who said the same. I told her my price and she sent me listings 30% higher and said "make 'em an offer!" Definitely a buyers' market; sad indeed for the spec builders.