Best SOLO setup for lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by minilawn, Apr 11, 2013.

1. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Exactly:drinkup:

Mi dream set up is a
    Grasshopper 321D 48":usflag:
    Wright WB hydro 32"

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I think you are looking ok. Don't expect to mow large properties very fast though - but maybe you are targeting smaller properties?

I run a 48Z, 36 WB, and 21 and they all have a place somewhere for me. Only thing I would change is step the Z up to a 52 or 60, someday, someday......

3. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Yep, im building my mower fleet. Last year I got my HRC Honda 21 inch mower. This year I used your logic above and bought the Exmark 30 incher. Next mower will be larger walk behind or maybe a stander if I get some larger properties, but at the moment, these two mowers are working well, and saving weight on the small 5x10 trailer. 1200 for the HRC and 1900 for the Exmark 30. That's not bad for two commercial grade mowers! I looked long and hard at a few walk behinds, but felt a new Exmark 30 was a better choice for the yards that Im currently mowing, and so far I do not regret my decision.

This year the 30 has been the primary mower, but I still have to use the 21 for a few yards. Let me just say that the Honda HRC is one SMOOTH running mower, but does feel small now after running the exmark 30 primarily...LOL. The perfect set up is going to be dependent on the lawns your mowing in your area though.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  4. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

As a solo op I went with an Exmark Viking hydro 48 and an 21x push. I keep this in mind when estimating jobs, and if I can't fit the big mower into the back yard I price it accordingly. So far I have no complaints as most of my lots are between 1/4 to 1/2 acres.

5. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

61" Scag TT and a 48" Exmark TTHP which I will hopefully soon be selling for a Scag Vride or a Scag hydro WB 48".... No need for me to go any smaller then 48" right now since that will fit through all my gates. WHen the time comes if needed I will get a 36" or smaller depending on the customers needs.

6. minilawn

minilawn LawnSite Member
    from CO

No push mowers on your rig? That's gotta be great!

7. mowing4cash

mowing4cash LawnSite Member
    from us

If i was to go solo. Proably do 52" and 36" wright stander. I would be able to cut 60 lawns a week with that setup and make $73k gross with 32 weeks of mowing. Could do it in 40 hours too.

I really should do it. I can do that with no office staff or employees and no advertising. Decisions Decisions.

8. bp lawn

bp lawn LawnSite Member

I use:
    60" toro z(mainly use),
    48" z force for gates(use 10% of the time),
    cheap 21" push(more for trim areas).
    (2) Stihl line trimmers
    (1) Stihl hedge trimmer
    (1) Stihl br600 blower
    (1) Stihl handheld blower
    That's what I always carry, and it works well for me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

48" EFI Walker with additional 62" discharge deck
    30" Exmark
    6x12 enclosed trailer
    3/4 ton 4x4 truck with flatbed dump

10. LifeBack Lawns

LifeBack Lawns LawnSite Member

I have a Scag Tiger cat 52'' ztr and a 36'' Exmark metro walk behind. It is my first walk behind and at a deal, so maybe can upgrade less than a year, but beats a 21'' or trimming a gated back lot.