Best SOLO setup for lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by minilawn, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Mikeyd

Mikeyd LawnSite Member

I'm a solo guy (first year). I bought a 60' ztr and a 34' walkbehind. Thought that was the cat meow.

All my accounts are 1/2 acre or less.

Ended up selling all my stuff and bought a 52' StandOn and a 36' StandOn.

At first I wasnt sure if i made a big mistake giving up the ZTR.

IT'S THE BEST THING I EVER DID!

Mike

2. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I think having a 21 inch is still an important asset to have if your in an area that has small lots. I have one property with a small gate that only a 21 will fit into. I have 2 properties where my 30 inch exmark is the absolute biggest mower that will fit thru the gate. I also have a customer that wants I bagged, so the 30 is the best choice for that (currently).

The perfect solo set up is dependent on what customer lots you currently have in my opinion. You can look at my signature for what Im running as a solo at the moment. My next investment would probably be a 48 walk behind, and at that point I feel id have a great set-up for small to medium sized properties along with a larger trailer, preferable an enclosed to keep the equipment in good condition and out of the sun and weather damage.

that's my 2 cents anyway..

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  3. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

48 Exmark Turf Tracer
    36 Exmark Viking
    21 Honda Hydro(seldom gets used)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. LifeBack Lawns

LifeBack Lawns LawnSite Member

One man team here as well. I tried the employee thing but they quit, have to train them, payroll, some unreliable, and I worked faster by myself keeping more money. Here is what I have:

Scag TC 52''
    Exmark Metro 36"
    Cheap 21'' (hate QOC so I don't even take it anymore after getting the 36'')
    Stihl FS-90R
    Stihl FC-90
    Stihl BR600
    Stihl MS290
    Stihl HS-46C
    Sthl SG-120

you know..your basic stuff.

5. LifeBack Lawns

Hope this helps.

IMG_2422.jpg

6. TheLugNutZ

TheLugNutZ LawnSite Senior Member

lol nice pic, your son looks very happy to be up there!

When I start next year:
    36inch Hydro WB
    21in Honda self prop
    future: larger stander or ZTR havent decided yet on type or size of deck, but it will be at least 50inches..

7. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

My solo setup is a 52" scag wildcat and a 36" vride. Works for me but I have some bigger yards.

8. LifeBack Lawns

Haha thanks. He tells me every day I go to work that he is coming and will help me finish my yards. He is 3 and I asked him when daddy starts working as a tech for BMW if he wants to take over my yards or tag team it and every time he says,"yes!!!" He loves to ride around the 7 acres on the Ztr. He has a little kids leaf blower, rake and push mower he gets out when I am doing things in the yard. It trips me out. My 2 year old daughter just likes the rides.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. LifeBack Lawns

On the 7+ acres of my own lawn I wish I had a 72". I won't be here too much longer so the 72" wouldn't be ideal only for my yard. Sometimes I get my wifey to help on the toro 50", but that is rare.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. TheLugNutZ

TheLugNutZ LawnSite Senior Member

lol kids area great. My 6 year old daughter always wants to help too. So you are going to stop with landscaping to work for BMW?