best solution for wild violets?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawndude2004, Nov 26, 2004.

1. lawndude2004

lawndude2004 LawnSite Member

What is the most productive way to rid a property of wild violets.
    I operate in east Tennessee and work with tall fescue lawns
    I have eradicated most other weeds from this 2 acre property, but I am still having a problem getting rid of the violets
  2. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

I'd give Drive a try. Trichlopyr (Garlon) will might do the trick too. Not sure which formulation you might find in your parts though. Neal
  3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Try any broadleaf herbicide, but the real key is going to be to stay on top of them. They are a creeping perennial just like white clover.
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Violets have shown great disdain for 2,4-D based products. I have had good results with triclopyr (better hurry before its no longer available) and also Drive.
  5. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

What I found was several yard that I had picked up the last couple years have violets that don't even get phased by any 2-4d products. mMy usual speedzone mix will curl them -- but not kill them. However, if I return in two weeks after applying speedzone and the the damn things ares till there I garuantee their death with a little momentum or other triclopyr product.
  6. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have had success getting rid of about 85% +/- wild violets and ground ivy in about three apps. with Battleship applied at 1.5 ozs. per K at two to three week intervals. I say 85% because even though I no longer see any top growth throughout the lawn I am sure if I stop applying they will re-emerge.
    By the way, I charge extra for this service.

7. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Gallery furthers the effectiveness
  8. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Timing is pretty important for effective Wild Violet control. They are more vulnerable during their spring bloom.
  9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

10. I have had success against violets with Momentum & spreader sticker, and SpeedZone & spreader sticker. I went with the max rate per 1000 sq/ft. Some people have already mentioned that you need to stay on top of them, and they are correct. Spray in the spring (or when they are actively growing), then come back in few weeks (read your label for treatment interval) and hit them again. Also check labels for limits on blanket sprays to a property in a season.

I have heard people say that Corsiar or Confront will work also, but I have never used them.

Avoid dry granular weed controls.