1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Solutions for 36" gates?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMowerMan2003, Oct 16, 2003.

1. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I am hoping to upgrade my equipment next season, most likely with used equipment, so I would like to start reseaching my options now.

I am currently only using 21 inch mowers and need something bigger. 90% of the lawns I do required something that can fit through a 36 inch gate. The back yard size varies greatly, with most of the turf being St. Augustine. In some areas hills are common.

I would like to find a suitable rider, considering the ground speed, but I realize most of the commercial ones, if not all are larger than 36 inches. Would a Snapper rider be a good alternative? Are there any other good riders that size?

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

How about just getting a nice 32" or 36" hydro with a sulky, I think in alot of cases you could go faster that way.. I find that I can bang out lawns quicker with a 36" belt walk behind than sitting down on my walker.... Just something to think about .. This also depend s on the time of season too.. The walker casue of the bagging is quicker in the fall with leaf pickup than constantly pulling the catcher off to dump.... Walker I believe offers a 36" deck too.. May want to check into that... DOnt know how common they are cause I never saw one, but they are in the catalog...
  3. parkmaster

parkmaster LawnSite Member

Have the same problem. Have several properties with 36" gates.
    thinking about getting a 32"wb to do them with, maybe a ExMark
    viking hydralic unit.
  4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

The problem with a 36" hydro.......... It will not fit through a 36" gate. Our 48" hydro is 49 3/4 wide.
  5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I visited a local walker dealer the other day, just killing time looking around. One of the mechanics, a seemingly knowledgeable guy, said that he could fit a 42" walker w/b through a 36" gate by zero turning while being positioned parallel to the gate post. I have never seen this done and quite frankly dont know if it can be done. Has anyone heard of this technique?
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

LawnMowerMan2003 wrote: Best Solutions for 36" gates?

It hasn't been released yet!!! ;)

Seriously though, I'm sure this doesn't really help you because you will be looking for used equipment, but I think Hustler has hit the nail on the head with their new design.
    Everyone buys smaller mowers just to get through small gates, but they often still have to contend with a backyard that could handle a larger mower/deck if it wasn't for the gate.

So I say the answer isn't get smaller mower, come up with a way to get through the gates, and Hustler is working on that.
  7. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

What about GD gateway.

Folded up 36''

Down 52''

I have an account with a gate thats 39'' wide and the machine I use there is a 42'' ..............I get a couple of bricks and jack up one side of the mower to give it an ANGLE.
    The imperative word here is ANGLE.................Ya know when your moving a couch or funiture somwhere else you have to try a few different angles to get through the door way?.....................Same sota pricipal.
    I would Imagine with the Walker that the front of the mower (being the widest part) can be shimyed in, not head on through the gate but paralell..........so from ----- to / to \ to this |
    The deck would squeez in from the side (knowing the walkers have dead space around the deck) and then straighten up.

Dam it's hard to explane..............I can picture how this can be done though.
  8. Mowing Mike

Mowing Mike LawnSite Member

Your right i get into alot of gates that are smaller than the deck on my WB. You start at an hard angle then staighten up as you go thru. With alittle pratice its really fast to do with no damage done.

9. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Yeh mike.................Its a good method....aint it :)
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Im not a huge toro fan, but they now have a 36 ztr rider, or you could get a 36 stander, or a 32 hydro exmark.