Best source of advertisement???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Aug 9, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking to get into real estate in the near future. I plan on using my business to get me through it(still living at home also).
    However, I need to ATLEAST triple my current of 2 weekly, 7 bi weekly.
    Now, Without going into the yellow pages. What do you think the best source of advertisement is? Should I brake down and send 5-10k flyers in the advocate or what?

2. stevenf

also, If the advocate is my best bet. Where do you get your flyers printed? how plain are they? all black ink?
    Also, whats the size? 4x8???

3. Harshman

Harshman LawnSite Member

Real Estate? Good luck. Being a real estate agent is 100% fight all day every day. Marketing is extremely expensive and very necessary to get name recognition. What we do here to advertise is submit ads in the 'Dallas Dollar Saver', 'Money Mailer', and 'Val-Pak'. This works well for our area but as I said, it is a bit pricey. We spend several thousand monthly on this. (This is great for lawncare as well - believe me). Selling homes is not cheap, nor is it a get rich quick business. Over 95% of new agents are out within a year. Get ready for extremely long hours, 3am calls about why the house hasn't sold yet, and $50 a day in gas for showing buyers who take 3 months to make a decision.

4. stevenf

By real estate, I dont mean becoming a real estate agent. Im looking to get into investment properties. shopping centers, small apartment complexes and so on. Lawncare would be PERFECT for doing this while Im still living at home with no bills.......

5. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I have some investment advice for you: Invest in an apartment and stop leaching off of your parents.

6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. me1223

me1223 LawnSite Member

What you are saying can be done, however, it is difficult, you will have to deal with tenants (ugh.) and you probably won't be able to get as much money from the bank as you think if you don't have another, stable, source of income which could cover the costs of the building.

My advice to you would be to look into buildings which hold a minimum of 4 tenants if that's what you want to do. Also if you're new to the game, I suggest staying with something less than 15 tenants for the beginning, in a year you can move on, but this will give you that experience.

I say go with at least 4 because that way if half the tenants aren't paying you still have some income, whereas if you have one house where the tenant isn't paying, you're out all the money.

Ps. while it sounds like a good idea to live in the building you manage, don't, your tenants, now your neighbours, will bother you for the least little thing (light bulb burnt out, etc.) move at least a 5min drive away.

8. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

Nothing wrong with living at home. Stevenf, how old are you?

9. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

And to answer your question, Stevenf, advertising with signs, business cards, fliers, shirts will help. Referrals work great, so do quality work and your customers will pass your name along. Happens to me all the time. I provide more than "just some guy mowing the yard." I provide customer service and customers will appreciate that, obviously. Simply being polite will get you a head start on picking up more accounts through referrals.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I am thinking you ought to slow down as well, you might want to check into realtors but don't go out acquiring a slew. I would say one at a time, deal with that 1-2 and see how it works out... They're certainly not all bad, but I do believe the 9 out of 10 rule applies.

I also agree with the commercial track, I myself stick with owner-operated commercial developments, I just can't deal with the onslaught of a 20-50 or 100-member association, it's way too much even if the work itself is doable. So yeah, small stuff, tiny, or owner-operated. Unfortunately they're a bit sparse, but such is life, owner-operated affairs tend to be quiet and peaceful thou.

On another track, I do think your figures of at least tripling your base are realistic in the sense that for a full time Lco that would get you some place on the gravy train. Won't get you to paradise lickety split or even in several years, but it's in there. Unfortunately much beyond what you're thinking would be unrealistic in a logistical sense, 3x+ is a big upgrade but you'll be fine.

Way I see things, if you want to triple your base, triple your current advertising.
    You can try something else, but it can be trial and error, is why I'm staying, stick with what works, and do 3x+ that.
    Hope it works out for you.