Best Specialty Purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfdude, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering if anyone purchased a piece of equipment that was not use on a daily basis, was a more "specialized" piece and what they thought about it.

For example, I purchased my first thatcher in the '80's. It was a good money maker and sure beat renting one. A few years ago I bought a Ryan Lawn Air 5. Paid for itself that year and has proiven to be another great revenue generator. This year, my sleeper purchase (compared to all of the other equipment I purchased) was the sod cutter. This machine saves soooooo much time, works so effortlessly and makes us a great amount of money. This one by far is the one that I say "How'd we ever do w/out it for so long?"

My next one (hopefully in the spring) will be a skid steer. We have been renting more regularly this year, but have been approved to store bulk materials on our site, so hope to use one for loading mulch as well as for landscape work.

So what toy has helped you out??

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd have to say my aerators were def. worth every penny to me. I bought 2 of them used and 1 of them new. We only use them two parts of the year but I couldn't imagine paying $50+ dollars to rent them every day like I did a couple of years ago. My next purchase in the spring is going to be a bed edger, I'm tired of renting or borrowing those also.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

my tractor makes me lots of money and saves my back it also lets me do jobs that i could not do before

HPIM0306.JPG

4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm new to some of this stuff. What is a skid steer and what does it do? Also, what is a bed edger ans how does it work?

Where is a good place to buy these things.

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought 2 specialty pieces that dont get used every day. First was a used $800 125cfm air compressor for sprinkler blowouts. Hard to rent one in the fall, as everyone is using them. Second was a 6 inch brush chipper. $5500 used. Its nice to have your own because I never wanted to rent one for the smaller jobs. Now we take it with us on all pruning jobs. Saves alot of work and time.

6. Dwan

Dwan LawnSite Member

This is a Skid Steer. i got this back in 1982 and it has returned its investment every year sense then

Bobcat house web.jpg

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes I bought one today a miller welder will it make me money no. But the ability to fix things as they break priceless.

8. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

Last year I bought a KBII buffalo turbine for leaf season.

175 + MPH
    10,000 CFM

Now thats BLOWS

9. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

MorBark 2090 9inch chipper $ 18,000 saves time and dump fees .
    JD 4400 tractor-loader/backhoe/pulverizer/box/bush hog $ 32,000 ?
    Bed edger $ 2,200
    16hp Billy Goat blower $ 2,400
    16hp Billy Goat truck loader $ 2,400 ?
    GMC 3500HD dump truck $ 30,000 in 1997
    Aerators $ 5,000?
    chain saw/ pole chain saw $ 2,000
    16hp pressure washer $ 2,000
    etc.etc.etc. ALL priceless

If you have to go rent the equipment, you waste 1/2 a day picking it up, weather conditions can mess up your plans. As situations change , so can my plans.

10. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

My edgit and a literature holder for my truck bench. Both have been great.