1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best sprayer to buy?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by pea, Jul 16, 2004.

1. pea

pea LawnSite Member

I go through about one sprayer every year. I usually get them at Wal-Mart. What is a real good pump weed sprayer that will last?

2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Crew here at the college likes Solo.
  3. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I just got some SP sprayers the are pretty nice
  4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I use SP0's, they work good for me.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have the Echo, I suspect it's made by SP Systems. You're not talking about backpacks though huh? If you want a really tough handheld, get a stainless steel B&G.
  6. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

The echo M100 is the the SP3. I have an SP2 and SP3.
  7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I just ordered a SPO yesterday...
  8. bugpage

bugpage LawnSite Member

9. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

My Echo MS 100 lasted 5 years .
    I now use SP 3 type .
    Got 5 of them and 2 Shurflo ele.

Solo suck , they leak .
  10. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

I have had SP's, solo's, echo's...hell, more backpack sprayers than I can remember. I must have at least 5 sitting on racks in my shop.

Every single one leaks...

Whether its around the top cap (nothing worse than a top cap leaking and having a strong herbicide running down your back), or the bottom tubes ( never notice it until the next time you go to your property...and theres a line of dead grass where your sprayer leaked as you were walking from bed to bed.

I bought an SP sprayer from my dealer...it leaked. He replaced it.. the second one leaked too. So now, I just familiarize myself with each sprayers leaking habits...If it leaks from top cap, I only fill it halfway. If it leaks from bottom fittings, I only fill it enough for each job and quickly run through property keeping an eye on drips.

I almost look at these things as disposable. Buy one till it leaks...get another. Guess that's why I got so many hanging around.

I have to admit tho...my maintenance on them prolly is sub-par. But, they seem to need more maintenance than I think they should...as well as needing it much sooner. And I hate dealing with residual harsh chemicals in tubes and stuff...so, I generally just buy another.

These are all supposed to be good Sprayers...in the 100- 150$ range. At least, they were the best sprayers my dealers had that didn't have motors on them.

I freakin' hate sprayers.