Best spreader for the money? Maybe self propelled

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by racer56, Jan 9, 2008.

1. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

We have always just used the Lesco spreaders in stainless. We had one "come up missing" this fall and need to get a replacement. Anything else out there work as good for less? I did think about looking into the self propelled lesco spreader to save me pushing the dang thing. Does it work well?

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I think you're talking about the Lesco HPS spreader, that has the sulky, 6HP engine, and the black hopper extension that allows for more fert in the hopper.

I've used one. It's O.K...Not for the 'Bubba' on your crew 'cause it'll bog down on hills with heavier folks on it. Might need to 'half bail' sometimes so it can regain RPMs.

I recommend that when you fill it the first few times that you do the flat areas of the property 1st, then go to the hillier areas as the hopper empties.
    The extra fert weight up top makes the thing a little 'top heavy', and you don't want to be surprised with a capsized spreader while you're still learning to drive it efficiently!!

3. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

I thought they had a walk behind unit that pulled itself, not the ride-on unit.

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, you're right.
    But I don't know if they still produce them.
    They didn't sell that many, compared to HPS spreaders.

They had the regular green hopper, hydraulic drive, and either a Honda or Kaw 4 HP engine.
    They could really take off on you if you didn't watch 'em!

Seems to me they ran between $1300 to $1500 new, if I remember right.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Someone here mentioned the this earlier. It turns out the Lesco push spreader is made by Cub Kadette, which is part of MTD of Cleveland. I talked to a Cub Dealer at the trade show yesterday and he had the Cub Cadette (or Kadette) version of the Lesco spreader on display. He seemed to think that the Lesco spreader would no longer be at LescoJDL, (personally I feel they will still sell them). Anyway their stainless steel version is identical except that the hopper is yellow. And it costs less. Not sure, but I think that the display model was the older (lighter) short-handle version.

6. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Riggle, I searched around and wasn't able to find any info on the Cub Cadet push spreader. Do you know where they are available?

7. crazy4green

crazy4green LawnSite Member

i like using scott push spreader if i have to and seem to be cheaper and more even spread than lesco

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

PHS,
    and others--about the yellow Cub Cadet spreader (same as Lesco). I don't remember the company where I saw it--I think it was a Michigan Toro dealer, Weingartz Equipment. Weingartz.com
    But on their website I found Earthway and Spyker, but no Cub Cadet spreader. Maybe they have it, but have not added to website yet. Sorry i couldn't get more info.

9. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Riggle, I'll keep my eyes open for them. Sometimes websites are slow to update.