Best Sprinkler Timer?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimmyTheGlove, Mar 1, 2012.

1. JimmyTheGlove

JimmyTheGlove LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I am needing to replace two sprinkler controllers before it warms up. I have a few brands and models in mind, but I wanted to hear from you guys before I drop the cash.

I know it will normally depend on specifics (# of zones, etc.) but let's just hear your overall most trusted sprinkler timer.

Brand and model would be appreciated.

Thanks! :drinkup:

2. If I was back at it I'd use the RB ESPM.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

for trust, it's the Imperial Valet, and no others need apply :)

4. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on the site and what the your needs are. For a basic controller then the Rain Bird ESP-M works great. If we're talking a large site or light commercial then the Rain Bird ESP-LXME is nice. If you want local, weather based control then the Rain ESP-SMT is the ticket. If you have a larger commercial site and you want 2-way central that is weather based then look at ET-Water or Hydropoint.

5. You are liking Hydropoint? What do they do so well that those back stabbers get your recommendation?

6. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Hydropoint has a nice user interface. Not super thrilled with their hardware as it is a bit pricey. They have a new light commercial controller that is two way capable coming out pretty soon here. It should be a little less money and hopefully the hardware is more stable than the ET-pro2. I saw it at the landscape show in Los Angeles earlier this month. They would be my last choice for a internet / weather based control system mainly because of their marketing approach and the fact that I just don't personally agree with it. Overall though given my experience with it on a large site where it was literally forced upon us I'd say that it's an OK system. It would be better if they could sort out some of their hardware issues. I personally favor central control systems that the end user physically owns and has complete control of but I think that those (Maxi-Com etc.) are a dying breed.

7. Tom1514

Tom1514 LawnSite Member

Toro's TMC 212 is a simple controller to use but it does depend on the site.

8. Okay

With all this in the "cloud" stuff which seems to be a buzz word I'm hearing a lot these days my guess is owning software not just for central controllers but for everything is a dying breed. I'm just thankful our nuclear weapons are still controlled by non-hackable 60s style IBMs.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Like the W.O.P.R. :laugh:

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Now, now, let's not get too sentimental (that Imperial was a GREAT clock!), but the Irritrol line (especially the "Total Control") have proved to be equally solid clocks over the years. We're not going to mention Rainmaster or Calsense, because they're in a league of their own.