Best St. Augustine application schedule

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mlimanti, Feb 28, 2007.

1. mlimanti

mlimanti LawnSite Member

The last two years I have had Trugreen manage my lawn fertilization to bring it out of the fair condition that it was previously in. I would like to take over this process myself, as I previously did at my prior residence. Just was looking for the latest and greatest when it comes to making St. Augustine look its best.

Basically just looking for the best types of fertilizers to use and when to apply. The lawn now is still dormant from winter and I will give it as much attention as I need to make it perfect through the season. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks for your help in advance !!!!!:drinkup:

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mlimanti

Go to amazon.com and purchase the "FLORIDA LAWN HANDBOOK" by Ruppert & Black. There in will be the answers to all your question. After studying that book you will be answering questions instead of asking.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo

Let me add that the "FLORIDA LANW HANDBOOK" is published by the U of Fla. and is considered the Bible of Florida Lawn care. It is the main Study guide to the Commercial Applicators Certification. It is also easy to read and find answers for your particular problem. It is written on a 8th grade level.

4. mlimanti

mlimanti LawnSite Member

I will definitely pick up the book, sounds great. In the interim, when should the first application and what should it be this time of year?

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Good Afternoon Milamanti:
    When you get 25 posts--you'll be able to send PM--I like those but here goes.
    I did a check as Ric suggested but it is NOT available from Amazon--it may be available elsewhere. However, to help you out a bit-- Go to: http://www.lesco.com/images/ZoneGuides/Southeast.pdf
    Your maintainence fertilizer is you soil test analysis suggestion
    Follow the suggested times to fertilizer--There are several pre-emergent products out there and maybe you have a Lesco or other pro office that will help you decide which one to use. I can tell you that St. Augustine is really sensitive to a lot of these especially the ones with the 24D. St Augustine needs about 1lb/ application while centipede requires only 1/2 lb. Both grasses need a fairly neutral PH and not much lime required. Both love Potash, so a good maintainence would be the 15-0-15 plus a little iron. Home Depot has that particular fertlizer with the Fe (2%). I've found that Atrazine (also available in granular form from Lesco is a good one to use for your pre-emergent) In the summer when things are growing and you need broadleaf control--Image make a liquid Atrazine for some of those things that the granular missed. Another Image that is applied directly with the hose is great for the Sandspurs,aka Yellow Sedge (if you have any). Don't get overwhelmed with trying to take everything in--most of these guys here are nice especially the southern ones and if you're lucky to get hold of one that will not mind helping out, then keep up the communication.
    Hope this will help--get those posts in anyway you can and then PM us.
    Roy (Tennessee)

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mlimanti

I had to look in My Handbook for the first apply for your area. you are close to 300 miles north of me. The Handbook recommends a Complete Fertilizer in March applied at 1 LB of N per thousand Sq Ft.

I would make that application a weed & feed with Atrazine as the Herbicide in Weed & Feed. Chinch Bug are active and resistant to pyrthrins in my area. be sure to watch for them so they don't eat your lawn. Remember as a homeowner you can legally apply to you own yard just about everything we can. However once off you own property you can get fined up to $ 5,000 per treatment.

BTW There is more to Lawn care than reading one book and being knowledgable. It takes 3 years of studying just to be a beginner.

7. mlimanti

mlimanti LawnSite Member

Thanks Ric,

When I first started into lawn care for myself I was occasionally using the Scotts Weed & Feed with really no rhyme or reason to it. Then like I said Trugreen took over and now I have the time and desire to make it the best I can on my own. From what I have read here in the past, most seem to prefer Lesco products to the Scott's products or just about anything else available at the big box stores. I did see that Lesco region chart that was posted above but would like to know what exactly to ask for when I approach the Lesco store for a " pre-emergent plus fertilizer". I do have a Lesco location nearby but have not been there yet. Just trying to have alittle knowledge so I don't get led in the wrong direction.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

RAlmaroad

Oops

I just saw you post about Amazon. Sorry they used to carry it Cheaper than the U of Fla. Book Store.

I recommend the Ruppert & Black Handbook over Dr Laurie's she is a little too much tree hugger for me, even if she is a great looking Lady.

http://www.upf.com/searchresult.asp?searchterm=Florida+Lawn+Handbook&searchtype=keyword&x=14&y=4

Mlimanti

Atrazine is both a post and Pre emege. You might find better prices at Home Cheapo on Weed and Feed with .92 Atrazine. Any time to buy big name brand you will pay for the name. I personally think Scotts is excellent at ripping people off with their prices.

9. mlimanti

mlimanti LawnSite Member

Sorry for some repetitiveness in the posts, just trying to bump up my post count. payup

10. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Hey Ric:
    I suggested the Atrazine at Lowes--it is 4% so non RUP people can apply it to their own yard. I know we use the 40%RUP. However, I did get my neighbor to use the 4% on his St. Augustine and the stuff worked great--as good as what I used. The granular from Lesco does a good job also. The WET stuff from Lowes does well on winter vetch and the like.
    I like to read your post as they are very knowledgable--keep up good work. Roy