Best Stand-alone Edger ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MEXANDME, Jul 19, 2012.

1. MEXANDME

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

I operate a small irrigation company but I have a lawn maintenance question.

I have an old Craftsman 2-wheel gasoline edger that has finally died.

I perfer the stand-alone type edger.

What brand / model gasoline edger would you recommend in the $200 - $250 range. I only use it to edge my centipede lawn along the curb, driveway, and sidewalk.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Tommy

2. MEXANDME

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks again!

3. Bautieri

Bautieri LawnSite Member

Used?

If you'd like a stick edger, check out Home Depot when they start to mark all their Echo hand helds down. The PE-225 is within your price range, but the clearance plus a coupon might get you a more powerful unit.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I will just say that I have had a 3.5hp Craftsman for 17 years and have had a few breaks that were fixed by a few welds here and there but overall it has made me quite a but of money. I can't say that it is a great machine but it has served me as well as anything. Its a Tecumseh engine that hasn't had an issue which surprises the heck out of me year after year. The guard finally fell off which makes safety glasses even more than manditory. (I always wear them anyway)
    I like it because it can cut the thickest grass and not snuff out. Its a triblade design and they cost 5 bucks a piece. I probably make 150 off of one blade.

I would like a stick edger for maintenance edging so I don't have to unload the machine but its still a good return for what I have to do. Good Luck.

5. CraigPLC

CraigPLC LawnSite Member

My new Toro is a 4-wheel model, with curb adjustment (right rear tire drops down to keep the edger level and stable). You can also change the degree of the cutting blade 0, 15, and 30. It has 5.5hp BS which makes it much more quiet than the 2-cycle types. $260

I also use it to cut landscaping beds, to put score lines for overseeding.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  6. morgaj1

morgaj1 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a Craftsman 3-wheeled edger with a Tecumseh motor for years. I definitely got my moneys worth. The cutter head ended up wearing out and Sears no longer carried parts for it. So, I was pretty much stuck. I have heard of this happening a lot with Sears.

I have since switched to a stick edger, but if I were to buy another wheeled edger, it would be a McLane like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/McLane-9-Inch...8&qid=1342918744&sr=8-1&keywords=mclane+edger

7. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

Way out of price range, but the Tanaka w/b edger is the gold standard for walkbehind hard surface edgers....

8. SDLandscapes VT

9. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

It must be the end of the craftsman edgers day my 16 year old walk behind edger just died, also looking at either the mclain or tanaka, The mclain seems to be made here in the US vs the tanaka I was wondering what difference the different size wheels made? And how much does the tanaka run for?

10. SDLandscapes VT

Tanaka is spendy--however I will add it is worth the money. I m a stick edger guy, but the company I was with during graduate school had the tanakas and believe me the guys there held nothing sacred and those things ran forever. I want to say they are north of $600.00 but I may be mistaken