1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best stand on mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Huff11, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Huff11

Huff11 LawnSite Member

I am interested in buying a new stand on mower, however I have zero experience with these machines. So I would like some help from you guys who have run them. I'm looking to get a 48 or 52 inch deck and I want the best machine for hills. My choices are scag vride, wright stander X, gravely pro stance, and exmark vantage. Which one of these mowers is the best overall machine and for a fair price? I already have a scag TT 61 so I like scag but I am open for opinions because I want the best machine with the best technology to make mowing easier. Any advice is appreciated!

2. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We have run wright and v ride.
    I am biased toward scag in general.
    I believe they give a better cut than wright.
    JUST MY OPINION!
    No one freak out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

All the standers are over priced. None of them will mow steep hills very well. With that being said they are very productive and less fatiguing to operate than sit downs and wbs. The best thing to do is to go out and look at the different brands. They all have there positives and negatives. I looked at many standers with the exception of the Wright. I found the toro/xmark to be the most agile and comfortable to operate. The gravely and scag were great units also just seemed a bit heavier and more cumbersome to run.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

Less fatiguing than sit downs? The new standers with the big rear wheels like the BB are supposed to be great on steep hills and you can jump off if need be so you won't get killed if one breaks traction on steep grades.

For doing big areas a 72 ZTR Sit down is way ahead of a stander in comfort and productivity.

5. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Be sure to demo all of them. Their controls work differently from each other and the hydraulics are definitely different. I demoed a Wright and eXmark.

In general, I didn't care for a stander, but, guess one would get used to them. Specifically, I didn't like trying to maintain balance and operate the machine, while trying to mow straight or around things. I'd rather sit and be able to focus on the controls or simply WB a machine and focus. You may feel differently.

6. Huff11

Huff11 LawnSite Member

Do you think my scag turf tiger is as good as the standers on hills or are the standers better?

7. lawnkingforever

Posted via Mobile Device

8. lawnkingforever

I my friend has a tt and I would say a stander might be a touch better but not much. Again what constitutes a hill is personal opinion
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. lawnkingforever

A stander in the 48"-52" size is the sweet spot for these mowers. I would just run a 32-36" wb over a similar size stander. The standers over 52" are too big and you might as well get a sit down at that point.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say the Gravely in a 48-52 inch deck. Those are sweet machines.

For a 60 inch I prefer a ZTR or even a hydro walk behind like an Exmark Turf Tracer. 60 inch standers just do not feel "right" too me.